Epson Scan utility

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas how I can configure the scanner on my Epson 800. The current version from Epson needs Roseeta to run. I need a solution that allows me to configure the scanner under Lion. Since Lion no longer supports Rosetta I need a fix for this. I use this printer as a network printer so configuring as USB is not an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
++1 for Vuescan. If your scanner is on the list of supported scanners it is a great program and is constantly kept up to date.

OP
V
Reaction score
Vuescan won't let me configure my scanner. The problem I am having is that my Artisan800 is connected via network. The Epson Scan Utility lets you configure Epson Scan so that it knows where the scanner is. Currently there is no software that I can find that will let me configure Epson scan to see my scanner. I have contacted Epson and all I get is that their working on it.
I noticed that Epson now has a Lion page and their answer is to download the Epson Scan utility and that should work however it required Rosetta to run and Lion doesn't support Rosetta. Furthermore the Epson Scan Utility is a PowerPC Application and not a Universal or Intel version. I have once again contacted Epson to see if they are going to get up to speed or are they going to abandon us Mac users because they are lazy. All of the other Epson Apps they have are either Intel or Universal, why can't they update this one? I know just plain lazy.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed that Epson now has a Lion page and their answer is to download the Epson Scan utility and that should work however it required Rosetta to run and Lion doesn't support Rosetta. Furthermore the Epson Scan Utility is a PowerPC Application and not a Universal or Intel version. I have once again contacted Epson to see if they are going to get up to speed or are they going to abandon us Mac users because they are lazy. All of the other Epson Apps they have are either Intel or Universal, why can't they update this one? I know just plain lazy.....

If their FAQ page for Lion says to run an app that is incapable of running under Lion, then I'd be questioning just how committed they are to supporting Macs. There's just no excuse for them to post something so blatantly wrong.

OP
V
Reaction score
It gets better. I have tried at least 3 times that their app is a PowerPC app and not supported under Lion and all they can say is follow this link (which points to their PPC app) or they just tell me to run the app. I mean really what does it take all the rest of apps are wither Universal or Intel so what's the problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
? Have you tried using Image Capture? That's what I use for my network attached HP.
Never did any set up for it aside from setting the printer side of it up in System Preferences.

Can't really respond to the Lion portion since it has not been released as of this point in time.

If all the drivers for that Epson are PPC, boy that sucks. Have those guys had their heads stuck in a hole or what?

Only an idea here - you might try setting it up via USB, then connect it back to the route and see if the system can find it and use the drivers already installed.

Guessing we might be seeing a fair number of these 3rd party hardware issues with Lion.

OP
V
Reaction score
It's not a problem with the drivers but the Scan Utility tells Epson Scan app where to find the scanner. So unless I can get it configured no scanner software will ever be able to find my all in one printer at it's ip to configure the scanner.

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok I got it figured out without Epson's help. I installed the Scan Utility for a different all in one. I have the Artisan 800, and I downloaded the Scan utility and driver for the Artisan 835 since it is using a newer version of the Scan Utility. It is 3.77 vice 3.44 (which is the PPC app) Once installed I then reinstalled the scan package for the 800 which installed only the driver and not the config utility. Now I can configure my scanner via network. When I checked system Profiler I now show now epson software that is PPC it is all Universal. Whereas before when I installed the 3.44 software it showed it was a PPC application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I got it figured out without Epson's help. I installed the Scan Utility for a different all in one. I have the Artisan 800, and I downloaded the Scan utility and driver for the Artisan 835 since it is using a newer version of the Scan Utility. It is 3.77 vice 3.44 (which is the PPC app) Once installed I then reinstalled the scan package for the 800 which installed only the driver and not the config utility. Now I can configure my scanner via network. When I checked system Profiler I now show now epson software that is PPC it is all Universal. Whereas before when I installed the 3.44 software it showed it was a PPC application.

Nice tip! Glad you got it sorted.

OP
V
Reaction score
With all the trouble I had it just goes to show that Epson Tech Support uses the check list method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With all the trouble I had it just goes to show that Epson Tech Support uses the check list method.

Reminds me of the time when I had a problem years ago in which, after installing new drivers, I lost use of my Logitech Keyboard and Mouse in Windows 2000. Thankfully I was dual-booting something else, so I was able to email them, but got replies with solutions that all required use of the keyboard and/or mouse. *sigh* I ended up figuring out how to fix it myself from the Win98 partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.