Noob help with Itunes

Reaction score
Sorry if I didn't post in right section but need some help. We have a iMac. Newer one. I have all my music and pictures on itunes however under my girlfriend profile for the computer. So now later down the line we did make seperate profiles. I just got my new iphone finally and want to sync but all the music and pictures are only on her profile. What do I do. In the end I would really just like all my pictures and music on my profile (as well as my macbook pro) to be all mine and her stuff to be hers.

Any help? even if I just take all my stuff off her imac and onto my personal macbook pro (I have a external hard drive to use) and just always use my macbook to sync with my phone thats fine.

Help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you can separate the music and pictures into two profiles since they're all on hers. What you can do is setup "Home Sharing". I don't know if that's what you want to do, but take a look at this article from Apple. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Can you import what you want from her profile into your own profile's library using iTunes so that it will build your library? I don't know if it is possible to import from another user's profile. Otherwise, you should be able to copy whatever files you want to a location where you can import from, such as your external drive.

You can try Senuti. Senuti — Recover music from your iPod, iPhone or iPad to your Mac

I'm not sure if it will do what you want exactly. I used it to get stuff off my car ipod because the laptop that I had it synced to has died and iTunes wanted me to authorize it with my Mac Pro and would've erased the music.

I don't know if you can transfer from the computer to an iPod/iPhone since its claim is it does things backwards, hence the name Senuti (itunes backwards). Can't check it now since I have to have an iPod connected and it's out in the car.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Went ahead and moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Browsing other posts I found this last night and realized it may help you:

Yet another iPod manager - Home

That one says you can copy both directions. So you could easily copy off what you want onto an iPod then copy to your profile and your MBP and set up syncing after you have it how you want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoever gave me a what I assume is a negative rep rating and left this comment:
"did you read the question? has nothing whatsoever to do with an iPod"

Yes. I read the question. I'm trying to help this person find a method to transfer select music and pics from one profile to another. S/he wants to sync an iPhone. If you notice the Senuti link can be used for iPhones. I posted the second link since a lot of Mac users have iPods and it would be a very easy way to do what s/he wants to do.

Whoever you are, I'm soooo sorry if my trying to help someone when only one other person has given any options bothers you so much that you had to make the effort to be rude and insulting.

Sheesh.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The developer quit working on Yamipod some time back and it won't work on an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. Doesn't recognize them. Only works on plain iPods. He has a new software in development, but it still does not do any of these devices unfortunately.

The best way would be to share a single library between the 2 user accounts. Each user will then have access to all music in the library in iTunes, but when syncing your devices, you'll each be able to set up which music syncs the same as you do now - but, no worry about having to go through and check/uncheck what each of you want any longer.

How to share music between different accounts on the same computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.