Need scanner and software advice for 35m film

Reaction score
I've been shooting film using a Spinner 360 (lomography). It's a camera that spins to take 360 degree pictures using 35mm film. The film is only developed to a negative and is uncut. The reason for this is the film size is longer then standard pictures and cannot be printed when developed.

Another interesting thing about the film is that its desirable leave the small rectangles on the top and bottom of the film negative. From there I cut the negatives to the full view (360). When I scan the negatives I need a scanner that can scan the entire 35mm negative surface (dedicated 35mm scanners will not work for this use). The images turn out really interesting and you can check out lomography.com to see some samples if this sounds interesting to you.

So I need help/advice/opinion on the following:

1. A flatbed scanner that does a great job scanning 35mm film ( I don't need special holders as I need the entire negative scanned)
2. The software that comes with the scanner is equally important but I would consider a stand alone software if there is something better out there.

One more thing there is a scanning plate out there that holds negatives (without cutting anything off) to be used on flatbed scanners however I haven't been able to figure out if it let's light through for back lit scanners or not.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you,
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Sounds like a real catch .22, since most flatbed scanners aren't usually very well regarded for such intricate and detailed work. What is your budget? That's a key question. As far as software goes, Vue Scan is extremely well regarded and calibrates really well with a ton of profiles. That list is always growing and the company offers very good support.

Have you thought about seeking out a good lab who will process and scan for you instead of doing it yourself? That Lomography website is really cool, thanks for the link.Well, sort of... you've probably gone and made me spend more money that I don't have now!

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a resource along the lines of what you're looking for there?

Doug

OP
Pill
Reaction score
Thanks Doug. As for my budget I was looking around a few hundred bucks but as I research more and more it's looking like I'll be in the $550 range because I'm looking at the Epson V700. I found a guy on YouTube that is using one with his sprocket cam (longer negatives and showing the sprocket holes).

Also, thanks for the advice on VueScan.. I'll check that out.

I'm glad you liked the lomography site. I was looking for a film panoramic camera and found this site. Man I really miss 35 mm film. Plus I love the idea of using plastic cameras. I picked up a plastic 35 mm fish eye camera for may trip to Alaska. I just got back Monday and will get the pictures up once I figure out this whole scanner thing. Thanks again Doug!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.