Getting my 1st 2008 mbp tomorrow non unibody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
I'm getting my very first MacBook pro early 2008 non unibody 17 inch 4gb ram 500gb hdd snow leopard 10.6.8. Tell me what you guys think and I wanna know if there are any known issues with this model. I have heard problems with the display screen and the graphics card coming loose and the display turns off. I'm trading my Asus w90vp-x2 for the MacBook btw.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please pay attention to the forum you're posting in. I've moved your post here where it belongs. It does not belong in the "Lounge". Read the forum descriptions and all Sticky notes at the top of each forum before posting.

Thanks.

OP
Dchinn83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
Sorry I'm a newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I actually have that exact model, except mine doesn't have the HDD upgrade. It's performed like a champ so far, save for a couple problems caused by coffee getting spilled on it. As for known issues, nothing comes immediately to mind, though I have had to replace rubber feet on the bottom a couple times. Standard Krazy glue should do the trick if you run into that situation.

There is also an issue with the 8600M video card in this model Nvidia admitted to existing, but it never happened with mine and I used to play WoW on this thing all the time - therefore, I'd surmise that yours having a problem with that is up to chance.

One piece of advice: when you get the notebook, be sure to run Software Update and get everything. There have been a number of firmware updates for the machine with useful effects, such as allowing it to charge via the newer MagSafe adapters (great if you're visiting a friend and just want to use his charger while his MBP is unplugged).

OP
Dchinn83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much and yah I heard about the graphics card and Mac or nvidia supposed to cover it if it happens. I saw a review on YouTube about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
My impression was that they would only cover it in the first two years after original purchase. If it dies on us now, we're screwed. ;)

OP
Dchinn83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dang well I hope it doesn't happen to the MacBook I'm getting today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
my friend has this one and she hasnt had an issue with hers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
My impression was that they would only cover it in the first two years after original purchase. If it dies on us now, we're screwed. ;)

It's covered outside warranty. It's a manufacturing issue, and Nvidia is paying for the replacements (although only Apple would care who is paying)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's covered outside warranty. It's a manufacturing issue, and Nvidia is paying for the replacements (although only Apple would care who is paying)

Two years wasn't referring to the warranty period. Apple was only replacing the logic boards for that specific issue outside of warranty up to two years after purchase date (which is longer than the standard warranty period of one year, albeit kind of short in my opinion).

That said, it seems Apple has extended the program since last I checked, likely due to the successful lawsuit they carried out together with HP and Dell against Nvidia - now it is providing service to replace these logic boards up to 4 years from the original purchase date, as outlined in this knowledgebase article:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

So rejoice, Dchinn. We're good until early next year!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.