Charging iPhone without installing device

Reaction score
I would like to be able to charge my phone while at work by plugging the USB cord into my computer. However it seems that I must first install the device on the computer in order to allow it to charge. No problem except that in their infinte wisdom the IT guys at work have denied me access to just about everything except email, the company website, and Microsoft office 2002, so when I plug up the phone I get a message saying that I do not have sufficient privileges to install devices on this computer. I contacted IT with the reasonable request to let me plug up my personal phone and they told me just use an ac adapter. Is there a way to charge the phone without installing the device, or a work around for the security privileges, or should I just get a second wall charger for work, or a new job ha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you work around the security, especially after talking to IT and getting a NO, you could face termination. Not good. Even if the phone will charge without being installed (the PC will run through the install procedures each time you plug it in) you could still face termination if you are caught with the device plugged into the PC.

Best advice (coming from someone in IT, network engineer, at a Fortune 500 company) is to just get a second wall charger. In the long run, less trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.