Sidebar Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, i5, 2.83GHz, 8GB Ram; 17" MacBook Pro; iPad 3
I'm using SnowLeopard 10.6.7, and I've got a Finder problem.

I have created a few new folders over the past several months, and I've added them to the Sidebar for convenience.

Now, however, a few of them will not open from the Sidebar, and I don't know where to look for them, or how to fix this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you move or delete the original folders? And have you tried to use Spotlight (small magnifying glass in upper right corner on menu) to search for those folders?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still No Go

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I may have moved one or more of the folders. And Spotlight is useless unless I can remember which files were in the folder.

I can't even "Get Info" on the problem folders in the Sidebar. Left or Right clicking simply doesn't work.

Am I the first one with this problem?

Ted

P.S. I doubt it.....lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you can't do anything with those folders in the sidebar, go ahead and delete them. Hold down the command key and drag them off the sidebar and they should go "poof" and disappear. Maybe later on you'll find the original folders if they still exist.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks, I was finally able to do something with those folders in the Sidebar!

I really appreciate your help and knowledge...

Ted

C

chas_m

Just to clarify, the icons in the sidebar are all "shortcuts" to the original folders. If you deleted the original folders, then the shortcuts would behave EXACTLY as you describe, which makes me think you may have deleted them. Moving them wouldn't cause the problem you describe, unless you moved them to another drive or user.

Spotlight can find things based on lots of criteria. If you can remember even ONE (unusual) word you used in any of the files in those folders, spotlight should be able to turn up where that word appears (yes, inside a file, not in the title!). That should lead you to where the rest are, if they are still around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.