Macbook pro is taking longer to start up

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My macbook pro stays on the start-up white screen longer than it used to and seems to be running just a little bit slower than normal. Is there anything I could do or any good programs that I can use to clean up my mac? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey everyone,

My macbook pro stays on the start-up white screen longer than it used to and seems to be running just a little bit slower than normal. Is there anything I could do or any good programs that I can use to clean up my mac? Thanks in advance!

You can try using Onyx to clear the cache, rebuild various databases, etc. It could also be a sign of a failing drive, or a fragmented drive. Contrary to popular belief, Macs can get fragmented, though it's much less problematic than in Windows. It largely depends on your usages. I had a Powerbook that took about 15 minutes to boot up. After defragging, the boot times were more sane. Here's a post I made on this some time back:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...87952-defragging-os-x-discussion-example.html

Before doing so though, you should make a backup, then test your drive to be sure it isn't failing. Try using Disk Utility to "Verify" the disk. SMART Utility has a free trial and might be useful, though there is some debate over how effective it is at detecting early signs of drive failure. Onyx can check the SMART status also, though SMART Utility claims to be more thorough. There are other utilities for checking drive integrity, like DiskWarrior, that can do a much more thorough job and are highly respected, but pricey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.