be prepared upgrading to Lio

Reaction score
As the Lion is not far in the bush... I am ready to upgrade my MacBook HD to 1 500GB...
I am regularly doing TimeMachine backups , so I would like to understand the best process ( or shortest one..)

My current installation is 10.6.8 on a 160GB HD with only 50GB left
will it be enough to install Lion ?

If yes , the process is simple
1: upgrading to Lion
2: backup w TimeMachine
3: change the HD
4: restore onto the new HD

If not ( does it us shadow files...) , then how should I proceed ?

thanks for your suggestions
:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would look at trying to free up some space, if possible. I keep as much data on a USB drive as I can get away with.
Make sure you do a backup before kicking off the upgrade to Lion.
If you want to replace the HD to something larger, do it now before upgrading. Again, make sure Time Machine does a backup. Then use your OS disk to do a fresh install on the new drive, followed by restore from Time Machine.

Hopefully someone who has actually done this can reply with any nuisances they encountered. However if you follow the prompts and read the boxes, you should be fine.

OP
kadoudal
Reaction score
preparing upgrade to Lion...

If you want to replace the HD to something larger, do it now before upgrading. Again, make sure Time Machine does a backup. Then use your OS disk to do a fresh install on the new drive, followed by restore from Time Machine.

thanks , I have a complete backup of my 10.6.8 installation on TimeMachine
If I install the new HD and do a fresh install from DVD ( Leopard + Snow Leopard), I'll not get the latest version on the HD ...
How does this cope with the TimeMachine latest version on restore ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
thanks , I have a complete backup of my 10.6.8 installation on TimeMachine
If I install the new HD and do a fresh install from DVD ( Leopard + Snow Leopard), I'll not get the latest version on the HD ...
How does this cope with the TimeMachine latest version on restore ?

Towards the end of the SL install process, you will be prompted to connect your external drive and finish restoring files, preferences, etc. from your Time Machine backup. Do that. When all is done and it restarts to your new system, you'll run Software Update (upper left  dropdown). Just keep checking for updates until there are no more and you'll be current. :)

OP
kadoudal
Reaction score
thanks a lot ... too bad !
need to redo all upgrades .... reviewing my all life !
thanks a lot , will do it during next we

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Towards the end of the SL install process, you will be prompted to connect your external drive and finish restoring files, preferences, etc. from your Time Machine backup. Do that. When all is done and it restarts to your new system, you'll run Software Update (upper left  dropdown). Just keep checking for updates until there are no more and you'll be current. :)
What files do you need to get from the TM backup? Stuff like firewall settings, wallpaper choices, etc...?

I too am planning on changing out my system HDD and reloading SL before upgrading to Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What files do you need to get from the TM backup? Stuff like firewall settings, wallpaper choices, etc...?

I too am planning on changing out my system HDD and reloading SL before upgrading to Lion.

Depends on what you told T.M. to backup. It keeps a "snapshot" of your system so you can revert to the way things were or so you can retrieve a deleted file or older version of a file.
Give this Apple Support page a read over for more detail. Apple - Support - Time Machine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.