Youtube problems. previous solutions are not solving the problem

Reaction score
I am running 10.3 adobe flash player in OS X 10.6.8 in my intel iMac, and have been running youtube fine up until the middle of the day today, and youtube refuses to show videos.
the whole play options bar and video frame itself are covered by a black box, shown here (and attached) http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/icrimbo/Screenshot2011-07-07at12220AM.png

I have tried html5, after clearing the cache in firefox and safari, tried using an older version of flash after uninstalling, tried using the new version again, switched my safari to 32-bit viewing, repaired my permissions, restarting my computer and safari and flash a lot, and switching to a different version of safari (currently using 5.0.5).

If you care to recommend anything else for my problem, please let me know. I'm a self-proclaimed youtube addict, and have no way to make my way to a genius bar to have them take a look.​

Screenshot2011-07-07at12220AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum. Does not belong in the "Lounge".

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
ClickToFlash

use this and run it via HTML5. i know you said you have tried this, but try again with this plug in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Does it work if you use Chrome?

OP
I
Reaction score
I didn't have chrome as a browser before, but, no,it still doesn't work with chrome.

and as for ClicktoFlash, that's just causing the menu buttons to reappear, but the video will not load, and the video box is still black and unresponsive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Chrome's version of Flash is built-in, it's not the same as is used in Firefox/Safari so if you're still getting issues I'd suggest it's not a browser issue.

As it's only just started happening could it be an ISP issue? Are you able to check the service status in your area? It may well just be temporary traffic shaping/maintenance etc.

Reaction score
Download Purity and reset some browsers to factory settings as well as thoroughly emptying all the caches.

At this point it seems that the problem lies outside of your computer and with YouTube itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.