Recover files

jpo

Reaction score
when i was tried to change the administrator password and now it appears that all of my files (iTunes, photos & documents) are missing. any chance to recover these files? Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
when i was tried to change the administrator password and now it appears that all of my files (iTunes, photos & documents) are missing. any chance to recover these files? Thanks

Unlikely you actually deleted the files.

Three quick things to try:
1) Look to see if you have created a duplicate user account. 2) look for a folder titled "Old System".
3) also possible that all you did was create new, empty iTunes and iPhoto libraries within your user account. Anyway, you should be able to locate them in Finder.

C

chas_m

Sounds like you changed the name of the administrator ACCOUNT, not the password.

To be blunt, this will be a right mess to fix if I'm correct about what has happened. The only good news I can give you is that your data is still on the machine somewhere, but putting things back the way you had them will be a nightmare. I'd highly recommend seeking out a Mac tech *with experience with this problem* to have them restore things.

If you used Time Machine regularly, you could also just erase the drive and start over from a TM backup before you changed the admin name, which would be a lot easier (but would lose any new files created since the disaster of course).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.