G-Drive disappeared

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently had my 1TB G-Drive (purchased new, Fall '10) stop showing up on my iMac (see specs below). At first I suspected a bad firewire 800 port because it shows up fine when I connect the drive to my Macbook Pro. So I tried the 9-pin to 6-pin converter cable going into the firewire 400 port on the iMac and not only does it not show up there either, my entire desktop goes blank - I lose all icons, the Finder bar, etc...

I'm a composer and have MANY samples stored on that external drive. Should I be concerned with the drive or with the iMac?

iMac (mid-2007): 20-inch, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 3GB, 320GB HD, OS X 10.5.8; Macbook Pro: 13-inch, 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 320 GB HD, OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
You can test the drive while it is connected to the MacBook and see what that says.

Reaction score
See if it will mount in Disk Utility. It's in your /Applications/Utilities folder. You should see it in the menu on the left. You might have to reset permissions with "First Aid', but "First Aid" won't erase anything. It may even just mount if you can see the partition in the left menu.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. The drive mounts on the desktop as well as in Disk Utility. Regardless of which machine I connect it to, the drive will not open to view/edit any contents. Disk Utility says the drive is ok (verified and repaired), but if I try to view the contents or copy any files to the disk the Finder flips out and begins to "flash" on and off.

Reaction score
Partition w/ Disk Utility

You may have to partition the drive, then but that will erase anything on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.