Terminal command gone wrong

Reaction score
I typed in this terminal command (rm -rf ~/.Trash/*) to force clear my trash but now all my documents are gone!!!! does anyone no away to reverse this command?
someone please help me i really need my documents

Reaction score
I hope you have a backup. What files were gone exactly? The whole user folder? The documents only? Something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
One of the benefits and hazards of using terminal is that changes are immediate and irreversible. There's a very small window following a file deletion where that file might be recoverable. However, it requires stopping what you're doing immediately, powering down the system, and avoiding any more changes to the hard drive that might overwrite the space where that file was located.

DataRescue is a $99 app that can assist in recovering lost files. It has a free demo, where it will show what it might be able to recover. At that point, you can decide whether or not the $99 is worth it, pay the fee, enter the code and recover your data. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Virgeist - I hope there was a backup somewhere along the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I hope you have a backup. What files were gone exactly? The whole user folder? The documents only? Something else?

If he had one misplaced space in that command no telling what is gone.
For example (rm -rf ~/.Trash/*) with a double space after the -rf, it will start deleting the whole HDs files I'm told.
And I'm not about to test it :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.