stupid question about external enclosure

Reaction score
I am trying to place my macbook pro hard drive (which is a seagate momentus 5400.6) into an 2.5" sabrent sata enclosure and it won't fit! This is probably a simple solution but it seems to have pins (screws) on the longer sides of the hd and i cannot remove these. Do i need a special tool for this or is it the wrong size enclosure... it seems like it would fit if these pins were removed. Help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am trying to place my macbook pro hard drive (which is a seagate momentus 5400.6) into an 2.5" sabrent sata enclosure and it won't fit! This is probably a simple solution but it seems to have pins (screws) on the longer sides of the hd and i cannot remove these. Do i need a special tool for this or is it the wrong size enclosure... it seems like it would fit if these pins were removed. Help please

You didn't indicate which MacBook Pro model (year) you have. Review the proper teardown guide from iFixit to see how they managed the drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
the pins are you call them are probably screws with points on them. They should unscrew somehow. Like LB asked, which model MBP?

My iMac G5 iSight had things that poked into holes on the right hand side of the drive. I was able to unscrew them from the drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
It is a MacBook Pro 15" 2.3 mghz core i5.... Thank you for that teardown info. didn't know about that site. It is definitely a screw and i just need the right tool. Thanks to both of you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.