Mac OSX takes too long to connect to windows network

Reaction score
Hi Experts,

We recently upgraded our network and got Windows Server 2008. It is working fine, except if I have to access any network share from my MAC it takes atleast 1 minute for the first time to connect. Once it is connected, it works fine.

I can access network shares from windows machines without any issue

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I can connect from my iMac to a Windows 2008R2 server share in a matter of seconds. I suspect your problem is not caused simply by the Mac, but maybe your network configuration, DNS server, or something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It also depends on how the server is set up to authenticate both the machine and user. Are you on the same subnet as the server? What else is going on?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies..

I checked DNS settings, and they all looked good to me. I am on the same subnet.. I tried logging in with the same username and password, and it works perfectly fine on Windows machines, but somehow MAC takes quiet long to get connected..

As I said, once connected, it works perfectly fine after that.. I can see the server in Finder and access it from there.. But when I click on "Connect to server", it takes ages again...

Hope it makes sense??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Are you using SMB to connect to W2008 server or AFP? SMB is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you getting an IP address from a DHCP server or does your machine have a fixed IP address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it a wired or wireless connection? Are you sure the DNS address is pointing to your server internal address and not the ISP external address?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I tried both wired as well as wireless connections. DNS server is pointing to firewall address, not the actual server address. Is it right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure. I have some knowledge of networks but am by no means an expert. On my system I am using a fixed IP address so that may be why my connection is relatively fast. Is there any chance they could set you up with a fixed IP address, even temporarily, just to rule out that the DHCP is the issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
How many servers are on the subnet? Can we assume the new W2008 server has a fixed IP number? If there is more than one server, has one of the servers been set to be the domain controller? When I had servers all had static IP addresses.

OP
P
Reaction score
@Bob: I tried setting up fixed IP, but of no use.. :(

@Chilbear: There are 3 servers on subnet, but W2008 is the only domain controller and others are just File Serves... W2008 has fixed IP..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I am out of ideas. Sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.