Stolen macbook pro

Reaction score
I recently had my macbook pro stolen i had mobile me set up but i am worried that if they where tech savvy since i lost it at school they could wipe the hard drive clean, get new disks etc would mobile me work if they wiped my computer clean? =/

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on how smart they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 930 Hackintosh, 24GB RAM; 2011 13" MBA, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage; iPad2
Yeah it really does depend on how smart they are...sorry your MBP was stolen. Can't believe some people. That sucks...:Angry:

OP
P
Reaction score
well i had a password just standard admin, and mobile me and serial number but the police said nothing has come up... i guess something like %97 of stolen laptop are never found and something like 12,000 a month are stolen!! jesus, i am assuming someone tech savvy or a student cleared the hard drive and factory reset it and or had a osx start up disk i am guessing that would make the mobile me and any tracking in that case useless... ??now all i have is hopefully they sell it and or the serial number comes up.=/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
well i had a password just standard admin, and mobile me and serial number but the police said nothing has come up... i guess something like %97 of stolen laptop are never found and something like 12,000 a month are stolen!! jesus, i am assuming someone tech savvy or a student cleared the hard drive and factory reset it and or had a osx start up disk i am guessing that would make the mobile me and any tracking in that case useless... ??now all i have is hopefully they sell it and or the serial number comes up.=/

Some people have mixed feelings on this but you could look into Lo Jack for your laptop. If and when it connects to a network, it reports it's location based on IP and any other location information it has. The five-0 can use that to help track it and it can be locked down remotely so they can't do with it what they want. Absolute Software | LoJack for Laptops: Track, Locate, and Recover Stolen Computers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.