Mac OSX Lion

Reaction score
I hear that it will not support Rosetta. This will mean that all my old PPC apps will be unusable. Is this true about Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Apple reported PPC applications will not be supported in Lion, guess it has been disabled. Part of the push towards updating no doubt.

C

chas_m

The last PPC Mac was made in 2005 (or possibly early 2006), and developers were warned an entire YEAR earlier that PPC support was on its way out.

The problem here isn't Apple, and is unlikely to be the developer. The problem is in 99% of these cases firmly with the user.

[ADDED] Also, it should be mentioned just in case there's a misunderstanding; only non-universal PPC apps will be affected by upgrading to Lion. Everything I run that has PPC code in it went universal years ago, so if you've done ANY updating of those PPC apps over the last few years chances are high that they will run. Old unsupported stuff like AppleWorks, on the other hand, won't.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all universal apps will work. One that I can think of (MS Office 2008) uses Rosetta for initial installation. Why MS did that is beyond me...

Anyway, it appears if Office 2008 is already installed and an upgrade to Lion is accomplished, there should be no problem. However, if it should ever require a reinstall....? The solution is to buy Office 2011 which does not require Rosetta.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anyway, it appears if Office 2008 is already installed and an upgrade to Lion is accomplished, there should be no problem.
I thought the same until I checked the RoaringApps compatibility list and saw this page for Office 2008. It seems to imply that the major apps work except for some of the "supporting apps" (is that something like MyDay?). It would seem then that there are more issues with 2008 than we initially thought. Glad I upgraded to 2011 here!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I thought the same until I checked the RoaringApps compatibility list and saw this page for Office 2008. It seems to imply that the major apps work except for some of the "supporting apps" (is that something like MyDay?). It would seem then that there are more issues with 2008 than we initially thought. Glad I upgraded to 2011 here!

Thanks for that Van. I was wondering about 2008 also since it came with my iMac. I am pretty sure I can get the Major parts to work for now. Guess I will get a Home/Student edition of 2011 down the road.

OP
E
Reaction score
The last PPC Mac was made in 2005 (or possibly early 2006), and developers were warned an entire YEAR earlier that PPC support was on its way out.

The problem here isn't Apple, and is unlikely to be the developer. The problem is in 99% of these cases firmly with the user.

[ADDED] Also, it should be mentioned just in case there's a misunderstanding; only non-universal PPC apps will be affected by upgrading to Lion. Everything I run that has PPC code in it went universal years ago, so if you've done ANY updating of those PPC apps over the last few years chances are high that they will run. Old unsupported stuff like AppleWorks, on the other hand, won't.

Okay so you have money to spare from your good paying career to dish out to people less fortunate to be able to buy the latest versions? I am still running Office 2004 and as it stands will not be upgrading to LION as its not Rosetta compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050

I have to agree with you, there. At some point, you need to let go and move on. I have a hard time being one version behind on my software, let alone using software runs on 6 year old codebase. >.>

And to evan, you really need to look at it from points of view of Apple and software developers. There comes a point in which supporting legacy code is not beneficial to the function, business model, and or financial model of your software or operating system. Eventually, it will end up costing more to support it than it is worth. I am surprised it lasted 6 years. And unless I am missing something, you spent a decent amount of cash on your mac, right? did you spend it all and forget upgrade your software or find current alternatives?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Thanks for pointing that out. I've got Office 2011, but it appears that Word and Powerpoint will still work in Office 2008. Although I'm a bit confused over what they're referring to as supporting apps?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks for that Van. I was wondering about 2008 also since it came with my iMac. I am pretty sure I can get the Major parts to work for now. Guess I will get a Home/Student edition of 2011 down the road.
No worries. I'm sure if you upgrade, Office 2008 will be fine as chscag noted.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've got Office 2011, but it appears that Word and Powerpoint will still work in Office 2008. Although I'm a bit confused over what they're referring to as supporting apps?
I have no idea either but I'm guessing it has to be apps like MyDay and other apps that are additions to the "main" apps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As soon as I get lion installed I will report back on 2008.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a quick search, I found two interesting bits in this thread: the "Microsoft Query" application in Excel (I have no idea what that is) is a PPC app so that won't run regardless of whether or not you already have it installed when you upgrade and according to one poster, 2008 is having issues running on the GM build of Lion (they weren't specific though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
There's Open Office for free. OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

I use that on my PC and it's great. I think I used a Mac version years ago, but I don't use it on Macs that much since I generally do my editing work on the Mac and use my PC laptop on the side for all the database stuff. I would think it's okay for Lion since it's had plenty of revisions but I don't know for sure.

You just have to remember to save your files as Microsoft files if you are going to send them to anyone. No big deal. I'm not a power user of Office but I think it does most, if not all, the things Office can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.