Mac Book Advise

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing away with my wife's Dell laptop. I've read that I shouldn't buy a Mac Book, Mac Book Air, or Mac Book Pro, because they are due to update.

We are heading out on road trip in September and I want to be sure she has plenty of time to get familiar with her Mac.

Recommendations????

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The MBPs currently have the latest gen mobile processors in them. Unlikely to see anything new here for several months.

MB - possible

MBA - I'd say likely, but Intel just announced new chips that could go into these yesterday. Who knows whether Apple has had advance opportunity to design a system board around them yet or not. Could be a month, could be 3 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
Apple does not reveal when they are going to release a new product until it is within a day or two of shipment. Might look here.

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Someone today is guessing that the next Mac Book Air will be released this month. Please notice the Mac Book Air comes without an Optical drive, and is the very thin model which was originally advertised sliding at of an envelope. Perhaps you should first decide how you will use the computer, which might help you decide which model you want. Questions such as, it is more important that it be portable. Do you edit video, then you would want the faster Mac Book Pro. Any of them would be good for just getting on the internet, watching a movie, and so on.

I am a big fan of Apple Care, the support one can buy either with the Apple or later. With a new Apple you will get free, one year of hardware support, replacement of defective parts, and ninety days of free technical support, which includes phone support. If you buy Apple Care you will get those for the duration of the Apple, up to three years. The neat thing about the telephone support is that one will talk to a person who speaks your countries language as a first language. All the Apple Support people have been very knowledgeable, polite and patient. Very high quality.

I have been told some credit card purchases, (even if one pays it off immediately) also have some interesting guarantees with purchase like this, such as theft insurance.

Apple Care does not cover damage done to a computer by dropping it or getting liquid onto it.

I love my Apple.

CGI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I am thinking about doing away with my wife's Dell laptop. I've read that I shouldn't buy a Mac Book, Mac Book Air, or Mac Book Pro, because they are due to update.

We are heading out on road trip in September and I want to be sure she has plenty of time to get familiar with her Mac.

Recommendations????

Thanks.

I think you mean update to OS Lion?

I don't think I'd use that as a reason to hold back your purchase. When you get your Mac it will go through a series of updates which ultimately prepare for Lion. The upgrade to Lion is your option and will be completely downloadable for $29.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
If you buy a Mac between June 6 and the release date for Lion, you can get the new OS for free. The MacBook Pro was updated earlier this year, so it's doubtful we will see a new model until early 2012. Both the MacBook air and MacBook are due for a refresh, so it may be worth holding off if you decide to go with either model.

Someone in this thread cited the lack of an optical drive as a consideration against purchasing a new MacBook Air, but with the majority of software now available through the Mac App Store, that's becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Pardon my off topic question. But dmccloud can you please explain what the 500GB Hybrid drive is in your system?

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.