PHP MySql Security Question

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been learning PHP and MySql. I have been learning how to fill out a form and use PHP to populate a database on MySql. I have also learned a bit about how to retrieve that information as a CSV for Excel. I am also going to us iFrame Tags to put a form on my clients Facebook page. I have learned enough that I believe I can make this happen. I am ready to take my skills to the next level.

My client's Facebook page is already going viral and he is about to give away some high dollar items. A contest. So his Facebook page is going to explode with traffic. In order to enter the contest we are going to need to retrieve personal info, like name, email, address, etc.

I have security concerns. Since this is my first attempt at this, how secure is PHP and MySQL? If I use a username and password on my server that should be enough to protect personal information, right? I will be responsible for allot of personal information so I don't want to screw this up. Am I over my head?

My second question. I need my client to be able to retrieve that information from the MySql database. I was thinking of creating a page that he can access to retrieve the personal information. But again, there is another security issue. I would probobaly need to password protect it. Is there a better way to do this?

Here is an example of what I am trying to do hhttp://www.facebook.com/Deergear?sk=app_156351054435971

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.