advise needed on a new macbook compared to what I have

Reaction score
Hey all... I'm new here...

I currently have 2009 (maybe 2008) Macbook Pro and am ready for an upgrade. Im super excited about Lion as well.
Anyhow I have an iPad and an iphone as well and was about to get the 13" macbook Air with the 4GB of memory... but am beginning to wonder if I will really need the 13" Macbook pro....

My days are mostly spent on power point/ photoshop CS (doing large file multi image collages/ scrapbook pages) and online on things like facebook/ you tube/ etc. I take lots of pictures and videos and keep lots of things on the 1TB external hd I use but I do much prefer to navigate through iphoto.
I was woo'ed by the thin design and the flash memory... but want to make a choice I will be happy with.

My biggest slow down is photoshop. Right now it bogs down my MBP...
currently under about this mac it says.
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

But not all of that makes sense to me... when I read that I am afraid that the new macbook air will be slower because it says 2.13Ghz Am I wrong?

Thank you to anyone who has any input here... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The single biggest issue you are having with Photoshop right now is too little RAM. 2GB is simply not enough for it, and as a result it is relying very extensively on the cache on the hard drive, which is MUCH slower.

I really don't think the MacBook Air will be a good choice for you. Here's a link to a test of the MBA vs the MBP using Photoshop and other benchmarks, and the MBP has better scores. And this was with the last-gen models. The MacBook Pro has since been updated and should do even better.
2010 MacBook Air: ultimate-edition lab tests | Business Center | From the Lab | Macworld

OP
S
Reaction score
now I am even more confused. That bit of info is pretty overwhelming.
I get the RAM from what you are saying so I would have to get 4MB if I got the air for sure.
What about the 256 flash storage... will that hold a large amount of iphoto photos?
Or is iphoto essentially holding previews and not the file itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
now I am even more confused. That bit of info is pretty overwhelming.
I get the RAM from what you are saying so I would have to get 4MB if I got the air for sure.
What about the 256 flash storage... will that hold a large amount of iphoto photos?
Or is iphoto essentially holding previews and not the file itself?

All of your photos that you put in iPhoto will be in a database that it maintains. As for the storage… 256 GB is pretty meager by today's standards. You already are using a 1 TB external drive to hold your stuff. If you are looking to get away from having to lug a laptop and an external drive, then forget the Air. If you want the best machine for using Photoshop, forget the Air.

OP
S
Reaction score
alright thank you I just bought the macbook pro 15" that was the refurb. It has the smallest of the hard drives but at least with that one I can upgrade it.. plus its already larger than what I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
the airs should be getting a refresh any time now, possibly in tandem with the launch of lion. I would wait to see what Apple decides to put in those as they will likely be getting some version of intel's sandy bridge processors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
you made a better decision with the 15 mbp anyway. it should run photoshop and everything just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I will concur with what has been stated so far. The MBA is meant for mobile computing that is only a slight step up from the iPad. It was not meant for full on high-end processing. It is Apple's "Netbook".

In your existing PC, I would upgrade your RAM to the highest amount supported and see how it runs. It think you will be pleasantly surprised.

OP
S
Reaction score
I will probably upgrade the RAM on this one (Its also a MBP) and give it to my daughter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.