Slowly sinking into ...uggh, what is this stufff!!

Reaction score
Hi
please forgive the frivolous header, but its almost true, i am starting to sink and it feels like..well you know what!:)
The problem is that i am not that clever, so much of what i am experiencing could well be due to a very bad case of ignorance, and the solution may well be something quite simple, i hope!:p
Tech stuff first, machine details and so on are as follows.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.37f3
Serial Number (system): WQ9056EQ0TG
Hardware UUID: 1FC208F8-FD21-54D8-B088-A5E5FD53983D
OS is currently 10.5.8 but was 10.6 which i ditched because i was having problems. Also i have been using an Iomega 465GB external HD to back up several times daily, but not using Time Machine.
I had installed OS10.6 and had been using it quite happily for some weeks when i experienced a problem. I play on Second Life often, and use the Phoenix viewer to connect. I had not experienced any problems until one day when i connected the entire thing went haywire. Difficult to explain but for example if i typed anything, it hung, for some minutes, i could not move the avatar, the clothing would not download, things appeared greyed out, in short it was not usable. I tried everything, deleted the viewer, did a clean install, tried other viewers, tried logging on as a different user, unplugged my wireless router for 24 hours, tried connecting by ethernet. NOthing worked. So in a fit of desperation i tried re installing the OS, no good there either. Then i tried installing OS 10.5, which was the OS that my machine had when i bought it. I managed a clean install from the install disc, and for some reason i could use Second life by the Phoenix viewer with no problem at all. I then tried to install OS 10.6, and the problem returned. I think maybe i might be able to use 10.6 if i can actually do a clean install. Of course the disc does not have that option, and despite my trying all sorts of methods i have read about in various forums and the Apples site, i dont seem able to perform a clean install. Thats maybe my dim gene working. So i am running OS10.5 and connecting to second life with no problem, but i would like to use 10.6. Question one. Anyone suggest a way to do a clean install of 10.6 that i can actually manage to make work. Also anyone ever had this experience before, or can suggest why it is happening. Question two. I have programmes on my back up that i cannot access. For example Daz studio 3d, i all the stuff is there on the back up HD, but i dont know how to re load it. Similarly my address book and I photo are lost to me together with all the content.
So maybe you can understand why the title, and why i feel like im sinking, and if at all possible someone can come up with a life belt. PLEASE:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't think the problem lies with doing a clean install of SL.

After you installed SL, did you run all the updates from Software Update? Did you try the latest combo update from Apple.com? The latest version of SL is 10.6.8. Get to that level first, then try using your Phoenix viewer.

If after you do that, it still doesn't work, then it's likely that your Phoenix viewer may not be compatible with OS X 10.6. In which case, contact the manufacturer and request they update it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi
Not sure what you mean by combo. I re installed 10.6 and then ran software updates before i did a clean install of the phoenix viewer. I have regularly run software updates whenever prompted to do so since having the machine and since purchasing the Snow Leopard update. Second life and the connection via the phoenix viewer was working with no problem up until Thursday of last week, but started to have trouble as i indicated on that day, and the problem remained as of yesterday, when i finally lost the will to live and reverted to Leopard. I ma grateful for your reply incidentally, thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi
Not sure what you mean by combo.

That refers to the update that is good for any previous version in that series. For example, it will update from 10.6.2 to 10.6.7 not just from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My wife is a Second Life player (PC rather than Mac). She wonders if the problem is not corrupted cache files for second life. She also wonders if the gray graphics are a need to adjust graphics downward as this sometimes helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.