Which wireless router out of these two?...

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new wireless router as the one I got from my ISP is pretty awful. I've seen the Apple AirPort Extreme and it looks great but it's quite expensive at £139 and I wonder if it's really worth the extra. Either way, the two I've narrowed it down to are as follows. I live in Cologne so ideally I'd like to order from somewhere like Amazon.de so I make sure I have the right plug.

- Apple AirPort Extreme (£139 UK or €159 here)
- NETGEAR WNDR3700 (£102.82 UK or €91.89 here)

I've noticed a few different model names with the NETGEAR router and I'm not sure what they mean. On Amazon.de I see two models for the same price. Once is called the WNDR3700-100PES and the other is the WNDR3700-100GRS. They're both €91.89 delivered which is quite a bit cheaper than £102.82 on Amazon.co.uk.

I have a MacBook Pro which can utilise the 5Ghz "N" band but my girlfriend's MacBook is a bit older so she'd use the 2.4GHz "G" band - this is the reason why I'd like a dual-band router. Am I right to think that with a 'non dual-band' N router that it will work at the slowest speed for both of us?

Ideally, I'd prefer to spend less and get the NETGEAR so if you guys don't think there's that much in it then I'd go for that one. I know that Apple products are great but I also know they're expensive. On paper, both routers look to be a similar and very good spec.

I'm on a 64 Mbps connection so I'd like to get as much as I can and not be held back too much by a router.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Consider whether the unique features of the Airport -- USB printer sharing and USB hard drive sharing -- have that much added value for you. If not, go for netgear. I've had my current Netgear for 6 years.

OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your advice.

Has anyone had any experience with that particular NETGEAR router?...

Reaction score
Yes, and i agree. I have a Netgear Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router that has all of the above. USB hardrive sharing and printing through wireless. It is the best one I have ever had. Very reliable. And yes, you are correct. If you get something that is not Dual Band, everyone will suffer slower speed. The dual band is great. My Dad's PC is G and my Mac Book Pro 17" is N, so both are supported. I would definatley go with the Net Gear. I have never had a stitch of trouble with anything made by Net Gear.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Airport Extreme IS dual Band. True Dual Band.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Netgear dual band

Yes, and i agree. I have a Netgear Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router that has all of the above. USB hardrive sharing and printing through wireless. It is the best one I have ever had. Very reliable. And yes, you are correct. If you get something that is not Dual Band, everyone will suffer slower speed. The dual band is great. My Dad's PC is G and my Mac Book Pro 17" is N, so both are supported. I would definatley go with the Net Gear. I have never had a stitch of trouble with anything made by Net Gear.

Which model do you have?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Honestly kind of surprised to see recommendations for Netgear products.

Personally, I'd be looking at D-Link and Linksys alternatives. Netgear's stuff has a pretty negative history on this forum.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Between those two - I'd definitely go for the new Airport Extreme

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with CWA. My experiences with a lot of Netgear routers has not been that good. Locking, Overheating. I do hear some of the latest Netgears are better, but I am still hesitant to get one.

Bryan, Agreed completely.

Reaction score
Agreed with CWA. My experiences with a lot of Netgear routers has not been that good. Locking, Overheating. I do hear some of the latest Netgears are better, but I am still hesitant to get one.

Bryan, Agreed completely.

Give a dog a bad name?

I have been using Netgear routers (DG834G v 4.0 and DG834GTB) since they were introduced to the market years ago. I install them for people who live out in the sticks and need a router that will hang on to a very low signal. SKY in the UK used to supply them to all their clients and many people get hold of these on ebay and flash them with new firmware see below.

In fact if someone needs to squeeze that extra download speed from their ISP then I always flash the firmware with the DGTeam Software. See here...

DGTeam - The Custom DG834XX Series Router Firmware Web Site

As far as overheating goes, if the supplied stands are used so that the air flows around the module then they do not overheat. All in all I would not deter anyone from purchasing them based on my experience. Naturally if money is not an issue then go for the Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
I fail to understand why you can't use an Airport Express. I have a Powerbook(running right now) which is way way older that your gf's mac book and a macbook Pro c2duo which was a 2009 model and both run quite fine on the Airport express.

Additionally, I have gone through about three different brands of wireless routers including Linksys before my some bought me the Express. All of them died or locked up within about 4 months. The Airport Express is still plugging now working on its 8th month. Additionally I know that if it dies in the next 4 months, I simply take it into the apple store and get a replacement no questions asked. Good luck doing that with the others.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You aren't going to get the same performance out of an Airport Express as you will an Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Airport Extreme and avoid Netgear. Most models are not Mac compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
Before buying my current MBP i was using an old linksys router that couldn't handle todays internet speeds. so i decided to up grade routers. So off to office max I went, I was sold on a D-link router. For about half a day it worked great then it locked up and i couldn't get it to unlock. the store was great about exchanging it. to have the same problem. I returned that router and made the drive to the nearest best buy. I bought the net gear now it dosent lock up but have to reset it 2 or 3 times a day. I personally am going to be upgrading to the airport for the simple fact that I now own 3 apple products and the support has been absolutely a joy, and even if its crap-tastic I know I can get my questions about it answered and get the thing to work correctly.

Reaction score
Airport Extreme and avoid Netgear. Most models are not Mac compatible.

How are they not compatible? It is a router that computers (be they apple or other flavours) use to communicate between themselves and with the outside world. I have just purchased a Netgear DGND 3700 N600 router and it works perfectly with everything. I have just tested my macbook pro 2011 at a distance of 70ft in the garden with router sitting upstairs in my study (small bedroom) and had no problem at all.

Reaction score
Just a small note, when ever you buy a router make sure if its not an apple product that it is compatible with DD-WRT www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router
DD-WRT is a great 3rd party software for most routers on todays market. Allows for greater customization, it also adds stability to the router. So much mine has been online for about 6 months with no issues what so ever.

HOWEVER:
If you decide to use dd-wrt make sure you read everything before you flash the router. make sure you have all the files and have downloaded the text for the install and understand the complete process.

Sources:
Personal Experiance
I flash routers
i fix routers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.