Intuit abandons Mac Users by not supporting LION

Reaction score
Intuit has decided not to support Lion with its Quicken 2007 for Mac product. Following is a quote from their Q&A:

"Why will Quicken for Mac not work on Lion, Mac OS X 10.7?

Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006 and 2007 were originally built for the older PowerPC architecture, and were able to run on newer Intel-based Macs due to an Apple technology called Rosetta. As of Mac OS X 10.7, Apple has discontinued support for Rosetta."

So my question is: Has Rosetta been disabled in Lion or will it continue to function but will no longer be supported, i.e. the user can proceed at his own risk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
My understanding is that Lion will not support Rosetta.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Obviously Intuit has abandoned Macintosh computers (at least as far as the Quicken program)...since they haven't released a new version of Quicken for Mac's since 2007!

Also...Intuit has never released a Macintosh "Intel" version of Quicken.

Here are the OS requirements for Quicken 2007:

"Mac OS v10.3.9, Mac OS v10.4.6 "Tiger" or later. (The QuickEntry Dashboard widget requires Mac OS v10.4.6 or later.)"

Obviously any Macintosh program (that is still the most recent version of that program)...that has an OS requirement of 10.3.9 or 10.4.6...is an old old program. These system requirements were also most likely established BEFORE OS 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7 (Lion) were ever released. So the "or later" part is obviously not accurate with the upcoming release of Lion (10.7).

Maybe Intuit will hopefully release a new version of Quicken after Lion is released!:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This is a (possibly uniformed) rant!

But, I abandoned Intuit years ago over their policy of disabling my ability to do electronic banking every three years unless I upgraded. Don't know if they have changed, but I have also found since that I really didn't need what they did for me.

1) Keep track of checks and credit card expenditures: My bank does that for me free of charge.

2) Electronic payments: same as above.

3) Budget: hard to beat an Excel Spreadsheet for this.

4) Plan longterm savings and goals: again Excel is great

It is possible, maybe even probable that my financial tracking/management needs are far less than normal, but I suspect not.

End of Rant: I quit buying Intuit out of annoyance at the aforementioned forced obsolescence, I continue not to buy because I think that for most of us they have become unnecessary and irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Uh, there's already newer versions of Quicken that will work. Just because you want to stick with old, unsupported versions does not mean Intuit has abandoned the Mac.

It's your choice whether you upgrade or not.

Quicken® Essentials for Mac Personal Finance Software - Mac Financial Software

FWIW, Quicken has always sucked on the Mac (and generally is a horrible company that I refuse to buy anything from), but pays to do a little research before making claims that aren't true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Quicken Essentials is what I use on my Mac. It's not nearly the program that it's Windows counterpart is but it's useable. I really don't like the company either because of the forced upgrades and have been looking for a replacement application. For budgeting I use YNAB but I don't like to download into that program.

Does anyone have any experience with "Moneydance 2011" and what do you think of it?

Regards,

Pat

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Quicken Essentials is what I use on my Mac. It's not nearly the program that it's Windows counterpart is but it's useable. I really don't like the company either because of the forced upgrades and have been looking for a replacement application. For budgeting I use YNAB but I don't like to download into that program.

Does anyone have any experience with "Moneydance 2011" and what do you think of it?

Regards,

Pat

We have used earlier versions of MoneyDance and they worked quite well. No experience with recent versions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.