printer share problem with a win 7 comp

Reaction score
Hi there i am trying to get my macbook pro to print through a shared win 7 comp. The printer is a cannon iP4850 and is shared and works on the win 7 comp. I have added the printer in my mac through the advanced option and selected the LPD://192.168.10.xx/share name then selected the canon ip4800 cups+gutinprint driver all is well until i try to print a test page it sends the way it should but as it gets to the win comp it says the page is not A4 size and asks me to put in the appropriate paper but i am sending the job as A4 size.

I have also used this way

How to connect from Mac OS X Leopard to a shared printer via a Windows XP printserver | codedifferent.com

and all i get is an authentication error and i know the password is correct.
Both ways have me stumped i also had a ip4200 printer shared before with no problems the LPD:// way.
any help will be appreciated thank you Mick463

OP
M
Reaction score
found the problem

Hi there i found the problem i was using the gutinprint drivers which is what i was told you HAD to do to get the printer printing through a share but i tried to use the standard driver which was down loaded when i plugged the printer into the mac and it worked.

so i did
add a printer
selected advanced
used the LPD option

LPD://ip address/printer name

canon ip4800 series driver

and all is good thank you all those that where trying to find a solution for me.
Cheers Mick463.

Ps how do i mark this thread as solved lol thankyou

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.