Unable to Empty Trash with Terminal, Safe Boot or other methods

Reaction score
Hi,

I have this file named "fiLºréÞ.…øb" and denoted as an "Alias" that is sitting in my Trash and I cannot remove it. I have tried;

1. Simple Empty Trash
2. Option / Empty Trash
4. CMD / Empty Trash - Says there are 5 things to delete but there is only the one file showing
3. sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
4. Booting in Safe Boot Mode and Emptying Trash
5. Trash It!

etc, etc.

Strangely, when I boot in Safe Boot, the Trash appears to be empty. So I Placed something in it and emptied it again using all the above methods. Then, when I rebooted in normal mode, the blasted file was still there. I have no idea what it is and want it gone! Any suggestions please? I'm not "Terminal" savvy but can follow step by step instructions if anyone can help. Am running OSX10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro. Help! Please! Anybody!

Cheers!
Yeesarm - a recent and contented Windows convert
:D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,

I have this file named "fiLºréÞ.…øb" and denoted as an "Alias" that is sitting in my Trash and I cannot remove it. I have tried;

1. Simple Empty Trash
2. Option / Empty Trash
4. CMD / Empty Trash - Says there are 5 things to delete but there is only the one file showing
3. sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
4. Booting in Safe Boot Mode and Emptying Trash
5. Trash It!

etc, etc.

Strangely, when I boot in Safe Boot, the Trash appears to be empty. So I Placed something in it and emptied it again using all the above methods. Then, when I rebooted in normal mode, the blasted file was still there. I have no idea what it is and want it gone! Any suggestions please? I'm not "Terminal" savvy but can follow step by step instructions if anyone can help. Am running OSX10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro. Help! Please! Anybody!

Cheers!
Yeesarm - a recent and contented Windows convert
:D

I'm sitting here racking my brain and trying to remember (my coffee hasn't kicked in yet). But, I think this is the result of file maintenance your system is doing--possibly associated with mounting and unmounting an external link (it has been a while so I don't totally remember the context).
If you do a forum search I think you will probably find it, though it may take some digging.

Bottomline: If I remember correctly it isn't anything to worry about.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hi Razor,

Thanks for your reply. I've been digging but can't find anything. I have a 4 gig RAID setup which I access wirelessly and my Mac "lost touch" with it during a backup sequence. Could that have something to do with it? It sounds niggly I know, but just bugs me to see that the trash isn't empty and always wary of files sitting doing "nothing" - coming from a Windows past......

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm not where I can access my Mac for the next few days. If you still don't have an answer by then I'll try to remember and see if I can find it for you. Almost sure the thread topic was force eject or force delete.
But like I say, it has been a while. Regardless, if I am remembering right the file you ate seeing is from clamp of temporary files and not a problem.

Hope you get an answer regardless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
cd to .Trash

find . -d 1 -exec rm -f {} \;

BE CAREFUL THIS WILL DELETE EVERY FILE IN THE DIRECTORY YOU'RE IN.

BEFORE doing so do..

find . -d 1

This will show you what it will deleted.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hi Dysfunction - Again, thanks for the ip but no joy.

When I got to the .Trash DIR and type "find . -d 1" it comes back with;
"./HTTP.system (com.plexapp.agents.localmedia) 1309983437"

Then when I type "find . -d 1 -exec rm -f {} \;" it comes back with;
"rm: ./HTTP.system (com.plexapp.agents.localmedia) 1309983437: is a directory"
- and the file frustratingly remains in the trash.

What is this thing?

Reaction score
Are hidden files revealed on your system?

Try downloading OnyX (it's free) and using it to clear the trash on all volumes.

jqar8.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Ah... plexapp - it's a plugin to share media across multiple devices, computers, mobile devices, etc. Try uninstalling it, at least temporarily, and see if the file either disappears or can be deleted.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hi Virgeist and EvenS, tried both methods and still no joy. This thing is hanging on tight! Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Even if you remove Plex, the menulet (represented as a menu bar icon) may still be running. Make sure that you have quit the Plex menulet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
did you try and secure empty the trash

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.