Joining MF with my new MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
Hey, Everyone!

I decided it wouldn't hurt to track down a decent Mac-related forum given I am a few weeks into owning a 15" MacBook Pro.

After swallowing the price tag, I walked away with (more like received from FedEx):

MacBook Pro - 15"
1680x1050 Glossy display
128gb SSD
4gb DDR3
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7

Since I knew I could add more storage and ram for cheaper than Apple wanted, I bought a 750GB WD Black 7200RPM drive and an adapter caddie and swapped out my SuperDrive, and I swapped my 2x2GB RAM sticks for 2x4GB sticks.

I could have gone for the standard HDD on order and replaced it and added another 750 for 1.5TB but I wanted the speed I know all too well with my high-end custom tower.

Although I bought a mac laptop, I do not plan on ditching Windows. This mac is replacing a 4 year old Sony laptop that I loved but was not performing up to spec for what I needed it and I wanted a machine that I didn't have to worry about and have to fork over cash to upgrade every six months because software is overpowering it. That idea is for my tower that sports six 3.2ghz cores, 8GB of ram, 3TB of 7200RPM drives and an SSD, a BD-RW drive, two Radeon 6850s and a 1kw power supply.

I got a nice discount being a student and working for my search engine employer. It's a fun machine. I transferred over my iTunes (350GB worth) and went shopping at the App Store. I love Angry Birds and as odd as it seems, Office for Mac works much better than Office for Windows. >.> I don't know how to take that.

(Why not use OpenOffice or Pages?) Because they do not serve nearly enough of my needs. My school requires native Word usage and since I got it for half price anyways, it's not a big deal. I did buy Keynote, however. I love it much more over PowerPoint.

So now that I've gotten that out of the way... Hi!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Welcome!
Fantastic machine you bought there. My brother has one and I'm envious of it's speed :D

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome!
Fantastic machine you bought there. My brother has one and I'm envious of it's speed :D

Don't be envious of how warm it gets, though :p. I guess if it wasn't Summer where I live it wouldn't be so bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Lol, your right about the heat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Welcome Jonathan, glad to have you here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Lap desks can't help you with a hot frame around your keyboard >.>.

So true. :Smirk:

Better the outside of your Mac gets hot than melt the insides. ;P

You ever see guitarists wear sport wrist bands to protect from rubbing against the guitar body? Pretty clever... You could start a trend. haha

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome Jonathan, glad to have you here!

Thanks for the welcome but I'm already starting to regret coming here. If I had known I would be ruthlessly attacked by trolls and their flaming posts, I wouldn't have joined.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Welcome! :) I see no ruthless attacks made here, so you must be referring to another thread...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Although I bought a mac laptop, I do not plan on ditching Windows. This mac is replacing a 4 year old Sony laptop that I loved but was not performing up to spec for what I needed it and I wanted a machine that I didn't have to worry about and have to fork over cash to upgrade every six months because software is overpowering it. That idea is for my tower that sports six 3.2ghz cores, 8GB of ram, 3TB of 7200RPM drives and an SSD, a BD-RW drive, two Radeon 6850s and a 1kw power supply.

I think Mac laptops are the best in the world. no other notebook can match up to its portability, build quality and versatility. What the Mac lacks is a desktop which can match a desktop PC in the same price range, which is never going to happen.

Building a PC is always going to be more bang for your buck in that scenario.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Thanks for the welcome but I'm already starting to regret coming here. If I had known I would be ruthlessly attacked by trolls and their flaming posts, I wouldn't have joined.

One member is not a reason to hate the forum. Id say just let it go, and don't respond to anything else he says. In future if you feel a post is rude, use the rep system.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome! :) I see no ruthless attacks made here, so you must be referring to another thread...

One member is not a reason to hate the forum. Id say just let it go, and don't respond to anything else he says. In future if you feel a post is rude, use the rep system.

I might have jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly. I guess there's always one in the group.

I think Mac laptops are the best in the world. no other notebook can match up to its portability, build quality and versatility. What the Mac lacks is a desktop which can match a desktop PC in the same price range, which is never going to happen.

Building a PC is always going to be more bang for your buck in that scenario.

Building a desktop PC, that is. I don't think I could ever pay the price for a Mac Mini or Pro. If it had more current graphics cards available and allowed for RAIDing SSDs, it may be slightly more appealing but in the $1500 I've spent on my desktop rig, I would be paying well over twice that. I get where the quality comes in but when building it myself, I have no one but to blame but me for issues. (Plus warranties on the parts are much higher in case there is a failure).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm assuming you're referring to the anti-virus "discussion" in another thread.
An individual needs a lot thicker skin than that if they are to enjoy the internet. Especially if they are involved in any sort of interaction with other human beings. Just relax and enjoy the forums and the wealth of experience and knowledge here. You received a pretty warm welcome in this thread, so focus on that. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming you're referring to the anti-virus "discussion" in another thread.
An individual needs a lot thicker skin than that if they are to enjoy the internet. Especially if they are involved in any sort of interaction with other human beings. Just relax and enjoy the forums and the wealth of experience and knowledge here. You received a pretty warm welcome in this thread, so focus on that. :)

Yeah, you're probably right. I get enough crap as it is for not being anti-mac, I would think I'd be used to whatever craziness comes my way. Most of the time I'm alright. I don't know what happened. It might have been because it read like a troll comment about mac a/v. Who knows. >.> Oh well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you're probably right. I get enough crap as it is for not being anti-mac, I would think I'd be used to whatever craziness comes my way. Most of the time I'm alright. I don't know what happened. It might have been because it read like a troll comment about mac a/v. Who knows. >.> Oh well!

That was a pretty intense early experience for a newbie to these forums. Sorry you received that response. That member is actually very well-established here and a good guy. Just sometimes a little overzealous is all. He means well.
Anyways, welcome to the forums and enjoy your new MBP. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.