Playing mkv files on xbmc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
When I try to play mkv files it just goes to a black screen then restarts xbmc, any thoughts on how to fix this? I am running the latest version of xbmc. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which version, specifically are you using? Last main build or a nightly build?

Do the MKVs in question play ok on your PC/Mac?

Where are they held? (PC/Mac/NAS etc)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I tell what build it is? Yes, the files play on my MacBook.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I posted the same question on another forum and someone suggested that I do this:

See if "Allow Hardware Acceleration (Videotoolbox)" is selected in
System->Settings->Video->Playback. If it is selected (which it was by default in my setup with ATV2) DESELECT it (blue dot OFF).

I did that and the file plays for about 20 seconds, but very choppy, then it buffers for a minute and goes back to the menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How did you install XBMC?
From where?
Where are you streaming the video from?
Wireless or cabled?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did you install XBMC?
From where?
Where are you streaming the video from?
Wireless or cabled?

I installed it about 3 months ago. I tried a few times to install it by entering command lines while i was ssh'ing into the apple tv. I searched google and entered a bunch of different things and then tried to restart the appletv by entering the restart command line, which didn't work. Then I called a friend and he said that the command line didn't work for him either and told me to just unplug the apple tv, which worked. So, I'm not sure which wat it was installed, exactly. I have the files on my macbook in a folder that is synched with xbmc and the apple tv is wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depending on the quality of your wireless link and bit rate of your MKVs you may struggle streaming them wirelessly, maybe try over cable to see if that improves the problem.

However, as you install seemed a bit hit-and-miss to start with I'd suggest a re-install.
Instructions below. You won't need to jailbreak again but...... You could use the pwnage tool to jailbreak then do the install

Step by Step manual to install XBMC to Newest 4.2.2(2203) - XBMC Community Forum

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot. I'll try the wired method and the reinstall and report back.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to reinstall it using those instructions, but I got an error when I entered the latest nightly build command line. is there a different one I can enter? I looked online, but didn't see anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I updated it and it said that there were no updates available, so I'm assuming that one of the commands updated it, earlier. Still having the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried it wired?

Did you re-jailbreak?

Do other file formats play OK?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried the wired method yet, I have to pick up a wire and a splitter today. I also did not re-jailbreak, but other file formats do play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.