MacBook Pro External Monitor

Reaction score
I have had problems with hooking up my 15 inch macbook pro to my lcd tv. I have given up and I am going to buy an external monitor so i can set up a desk space so i can do my school work. Can anyone help me with a good off brand and directions to set it up. I am a poor college student so im trying to find the cheapest but best quality there is. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
Buying an off-brand may open a new doorway of issues for you down the road, fwiw.

Since there's at least a half-dozen "off-brand" LCD TVs, anything that has an HDMI or DVI port will do. Whichever you look for, make sure you have the right DP-x adapter (x being HDMI or DVI).

OP
A
Reaction score
well do you know what brand works the best with mac and what resolution that i should run it on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
Like Lyman said. ANYTHING with an HDMI, DVI, VGA, port will do. That pretty much covers all external monitors.
There is no specific brand that works best with macs.
As far as the resolution is concerned, set the output to the maximum resolution of the monitor. Which should be the default setting anyway
Maybe if you listed some of the ways in which you will be using your external monitor you would get a little more help.
For example:
What size of a monitor are you looking for?
Are you doing any photo/video editing?
where will you use it?

OP
A
Reaction score
i was planning to get a 20 -25 inch widescreen monitor. i was going to set up the monitor at my desk at home so that I can have a desktop like setup. I already have speakers, keyboard and mouse. I will be doing some photo and video editing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"Cheapest" and "best quality" inherently do not go together.

My question would be, why not try solving the issue connecting to your existing set instead of buying another one. And of course, we can't help with that if you don't tell us what that issue is.

OP
A
Reaction score
well I have a samsung lcd tv that i am trying to use as an external monitor. I bought it 2 years ago when i went off to college. The tv cannot run the resolution for my mac so that is why im trying to get a new one

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What do you mean it can't run the resolution for your Mac?

The TV will accept certain resolutions based on the connection you are using on the TV. To change the resolution being sent to the TV, you would go into System Preferences - Displays while the TV is connected.

New or different cables &/or using a different connection on the TV would be much less expensive than a new monitor for which you would have to do the same thing - adjust the resolution being sent to the monitor based on the resolutions that monitor will accept.

You may want to have a read through the first 2 posts here and then post back with the info required if you would like to attempt getting your current TV working - along with what you have tried, adapter and cables you're currently using, what are the results...

(Some Samsung's are just plain not going to work - I admit. But, I am unwilling to make that assessment based on what you've stated thus far. If you've been getting a picture at all, then you should be able to get that TV to work.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I have a samsung lcd tv that i am trying to use as an external monitor. I bought it 2 years ago when i went off to college. The tv cannot run the resolution for my mac so that is why im trying to get a new one

What do you mean it can't run the resolution for your Mac?

The TV will accept certain resolutions based on the connection you are using on the TV. To change the resolution being sent to the TV, you would go into System Preferences - Displays while the TV is connected.

New or different cables &/or using a different connection on the TV would be much less expensive than a new monitor for which you would have to do the same thing - adjust the resolution being sent to the monitor based on the resolutions that monitor will accept.

You may want to have a read through the first 2 posts here and then post back with the info required if you would like to attempt getting your current TV working - along with what you have tried, adapter and cables you're currently using, what are the results...

(Some Samsung's are just plain not going to work - I admit. But, I am unwilling to make that assessment based on what you've stated thus far. If you've been getting a picture at all, then you should be able to get that TV to work.)

For the record, most LCDs under 40" like the resolution of 1280x720 the most. Anything above that and 1920x1080 become the norm. That being said, some TVs enjoy digital connections more than analog (HDMI or DVI versus VGA, for example).

Also, while not nearly as common as large LCD monitors (like the 30" I have at work), your current TV may like dual-link DVI (if you are trying to use that). I don't think your situation warrants that, but it isn't impossible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
If you are looking for a desktop monitor around the size that you mentioned, and will be doing photo editing you should check out this Asus monitor: Newegg.ca - ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q Black 24.1" 6ms P-IPS Tilt&Swivel Adjustable LCD Monitor w/2 USB hub, Card Reader & Display port 400 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000:1
I just bought one and, although $500 may sound a little steep, consider that the professional monitors competing with this one are usually in the $1000-$4000 range.
Its an IPS panel and multi-axis swivel for editing in portrait as well. Its beautiful.
If you're looking for "cheap" you will get exactly that. Dead pixels and what will most likely be broken next year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are looking for a desktop monitor around the size that you mentioned, and will be doing photo editing you should check out this Asus monitor: Newegg.ca - ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q Black 24.1" 6ms P-IPS Tilt&Swivel Adjustable LCD Monitor w/2 USB hub, Card Reader & Display port 400 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000:1
I just bought one and, although $500 may sound a little steep, consider that the professional monitors competing with this one are usually in the $1000-$4000 range.
Its an IPS panel and multi-axis swivel for editing in portrait as well. Its beautiful.
If you're looking for "cheap" you will get exactly that. Dead pixels and what will most likely be broken next year

I think I'm also lost as to whether we (meaning OP and responders) are discussing a TV or a computer monitor... >.>

OP
A
Reaction score
I had a Tv that i was using but I am looking to get a monitor now and not use my tv

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For a broke college student - I'd head here and take your pick.

As for adapter/cable - no one can provide that info without knowing which MBP you have and what connections are on the monitor you end up getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I recently bought a 19 inch monitor Asus brand and paid $122.00. It has a decent picture and allows me to work on excel spreadsheets pretty easily. I don't think the monitor is good enough for detailed graphics work. I don't have the model number but I could get it for you on Monday if you like.

I use the VGA hook up to my laptop.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
never use VGA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what should I use?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no good reason for you to spend the money purchasing another cable on a $122 19" monitor. Highly doubtful that you would be able to tell any difference.

If you were asking what cable to buy, most of us would be telling you to maintain the digital signal by using DVI, DP or HDMI instead of the VGA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
exactly. In my opinion it does not matter how much you spent on your monitor. There will be a noticeable loss in quality when using a VGA cable. Definitely stick with HDMI or DVI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no good reason for you to spend the money purchasing another cable on a $122 19" monitor. Highly doubtful that you would be able to tell any difference.

My thoughts exactly. It's excel spreadsheets for the most part. If it was high end graphics work or even games then it might be worth the expense.

Besides the OP wanted an inexpensive remedy. For the money this would be a good solution.

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.