iphone 5 not on schedule: should I buy an iphone 4 or wait?

Reaction score
A new iphone is usually released every summer along with a major ios update. However, apple has already introduced ios 5 without introducing the new iphone, and they say ios 5 won't be out until this fall. Should I wait to see if they release the new iphone along with ios 5, or is the new iphone more than 6 months away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Wait...You're only talking a couple of months at the most

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Summer just began a couple of weeks ago. New iPhone is expected in August. That's less than 8 weeks away. Give or take.
Suit yourself...

OP
E
Reaction score
yes, well you never can tell with all these crazy rumors flying around. Also, summer starts and ends at different times depending on the definition. If you're talking astronomy, summer starts on June 21st, but culturally, summer usually starts on memorial day and ends on labor day here in the US, or if you're a student, it's when school's out. Meteorologically it's just june, july, and august, but I always preferred to define summer as when we stop getting cold fronts here in Texas and all the precipitation we get is dominated by convection, but that's neither here nor there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
A new iphone is usually released every summer along with a major ios update. However, apple has already introduced ios 5 without introducing the new iphone, and they say ios 5 won't be out until this fall. Should I wait to see if they release the new iphone along with ios 5, or is the new iphone more than 6 months away?

Since no schedule was ever released for when the iPhone 5 would be released, how can it be not on schedule?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

The new iPhone will not be released with iOS 5, that much is certain by now. When the next iPhone WILL be released is purely speculative. Rumors point to the fall, and I have a hard time believing Apple would push it longer when competition is so hot right now. But you need to decide for yourself if you should wait, and for how long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 930 Hackintosh, 24GB RAM; 2011 13" MBA, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage; iPad2

Huh!? Did I miss something? iPhone 5 has just been a big rumor hasn't it?

C

chas_m

There is no need for "crazy rumors." Apple has actually SAID that iOS 5 will be out in the fall (nothing more specific than that). They haven't said anything about a new iPhone, but everyone expects it because they've gotten one (more or less) every year since the original one, and as we all know Apple NEVER changes. :)

Normally when Apple holds something back off the "expected" release, it's because of a hardware change or last-minute revision. My **guess** on this next iPhone is that it will be a bumped-up version of the iPhone 4 with a better camera and not much else different, relying on iOS 5 to make it seem more different than it actually is.

I **speculate** that summer 2012 is when we are going to get a REALLY different iPhone, one with LTE support and a whole new design. But of course I could be wrong, particularly as I recently got a sweet deal on an iPhone 4 and that's traditionally when Apple releases revolutionary products ... right after I buy the "old" one. :)

Given that the iPhone 4 is compatible with iOS5 and is likely to be compatible with iOS 6 at least to some extent, I'm not sure there's much point to waiting. Whatever you buy, and whenever you buy it, you're locked out of buying the next one because you're in a two-year (minimum) contract.

So the way I look at it, if I buy an iPhone 4 (as I recently did) I shouldn't even care about the next iPhone (whatever they call it), because I'll be contractless in time for the iPhone 2012 or thereabouts. If I wait and buy the iPhone (let's call it 5), I'm out of the race until at least the iPhone 7, which will make the iPhone 4 look painfully quaint and will probably be so thin and small it can be inserted nasally.

Hope that helps!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I ended up switching from AT&T to Verizon this year, and for a second I thought should I buy a newer phone? But in the end I thought the iPhone was still the best because Apple supports it's devices year after year(I mean the 3GS will be able to run iOS5).

So here I am stuck with an iPhone 4 until 12/22/12 but I don't mind at all, iOS5 looks like it's running good on the iPhone 4, and I know Apple will have iOS6 support if it's past history is any indication.

I don't know what Apple will do with the iPhone 5, if it will just be under the hood changes or what, but personally I don't think I'll be getting another iPhone until it supports 4G, which should in my estimate be around 2012-2013. It's getting expensive buying iPhones every year, and I am just quite satisfied with the iPhone 4.

If you want to buy it, or feel you need it go ahead and pull the trigger, I maybe wrong but I don't think Apple will do a big leap for 2011-- just under the hood changes. In my thought if Apple will do anything it'll update the processors, cameras, and so forth and perhaps replace the back glass with some new material(I've seen iPhone 4's with a metallic like backcover that they put on the phone). Personally next time I buy an iPhone, it will be for the 4G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
So here I am stuck with an iPhone 4 until 12/22/12 but I don't mind at all, iOS5 looks like it's running good on the iPhone 4, and I know Apple will have iOS6 support if it's past history is any indication.

Well, looks like you won't be seeing it, your contract locks you in to a day after the end of the world!
Jk, but really, you should have some IOS6 support, but it will probably be missing something key that makes it not the super phone as it is today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.