Error code -50

Reaction score
I am trying to move several GB from an eHDD to a NAS box using Finder.

Most data transfers fine. However, several times I get an Error Code -50 when trying to copy the data.

I found the support page explaining that using the Terminal and some codes may help.

However, I do not know how to do this and it is probably not worth my time to figure out how.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It is rather annoying that a simple function of copying data is not trouble-free.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Using the cp command is explained at the bottom of this Apple KB article (start where it says "To use the cp command , follow these steps"). Ignore the fact that the article says the solution pertains to OS X 10.1 - the command still works the same way.

Reaction score
Dragging and dropping is a simple action but copying data is not a simple function. You might try copying the files to your Mac first, then from there to the NAS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.