Upgrading hard drive for MacBook

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 320GB hard drive. I can get a enclosure and I want to image my internal to the new drive. I am told that Carbon Copy Cloner & Super Duper will not do the job as they will not also duplicate my Boot camp partition. I need an app that will duplicate the entire drive and was recommended CopyCat X. Will it do the job? I also hear of WinClone, and am aware of Disk Utility. My Windows partition is in FAT32 so Winclone may not work, or will it?

Thanks,

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't know anything about CCX, but I would recommend keeping the Bootcamp separate from your Mac OSX clone by partitioning the external drive. I'd use SD! or CCC for the Mac clone and Winclone for the Windows partition clone.
But that's just me...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
CopyCat X is $59.95, and as far as I can determine, it does the same thing that CCC or SuperDuper plus WinClone. Keep in mind that WinClone is free, CCC is donation ware, and SuperDuper is shareware.

OP
E
Reaction score
CopyCat X is $59.95, and as far as I can determine, it does the same thing that CCC or SuperDuper plus WinClone. Keep in mind that WinClone is free, CCC is donation ware, and SuperDuper is shareware.

Oh great I tried running WinClone and was told that it works with NTFS volumes and my XP volume is FAT32. Will Disk Utility do the job?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
WinClone also works with FAT-32 volumes. However, you can not expand or contract a FAT-32 volume reliably using WinClone. What I suggest you do is change your FAT-32 Boot Camp partition to NTFS first before trying to clone it. You can do that easily enough from within Windows.

And yes, you can certainly use Disk Utility to clone a Boot Camp partition although the procedure is more involved. See the following LINK.

OP
E
Reaction score
WinClone also works with FAT-32 volumes. However, you can not expand or contract a FAT-32 volume reliably using WinClone. What I suggest you do is change your FAT-32 Boot Camp partition to NTFS first before trying to clone it. You can do that easily enough from within Windows.

And yes, you can certainly use Disk Utility to clone a Boot Camp partition although the procedure is more involved. See the following LINK.

Will I save allot of disk space on a 30GB partition?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.