Bookmarks disappear

Reaction score
The other night I was looking at my Bookmarks Bar and it disappeared in a couple of seconds. Now I cannot rebuild the list or find it. I can't even leave a new bookmark anywhere. It's a brand new MacBook Pro 17 inch. Is this a virus? What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would start by going to Safari>Reset Safari and Safari>Empty Cache and see what happens.
You could also quit Safari goto ~/Library/Preferences and look for the com.apple.Safari.plist. Drag it to the Desktop and open Safari. This will create a new .plist. If it fixes it trash the old one and away you go. If not replace the new with the old and on to the next option.

If no joy try repairing permissions on your HD via disk utility in the Utilities Folder and when thats done restart your Mac . . .

Post back with your results and fix if it happened

HTH

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If the bookmark bar has simply disappeared, go to View > Show Bookmarks Bar.

When you try to bookmark a page, what happens? Nothing? Error message?

OP
C
Reaction score
Tried all that. I can't make a bookmark at all. No error message. Nothing happens. This has me stumped, it's like it was all deleted and hasn't worked right since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Do you have a BackUp at all ?? If so i would trash Safari completely and reinstall it then import all your bookmarks from the back up, OR if you have FF installed and all your bookmark in that, once you have reinstalled Safari, i would try and import all your bookmarks from FF . . .
Another something to try

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.