Using Mac with Windows Domain remotely

Reaction score
Hi all

Just bought one of my clients an Apple iMac desktop all-in-one.

This will be his home PC, and I need to set it up so he can work from it remotely by connecting in via PPTP VPN.

I have also got Windows 7 Pro Retail and Parallels for Mac.

I'd appreciate some pointers on what or how I need to do things so it all works!

I am very familiar with Windows OS's but I have never really used a Mac at all, so I'm afraid you'll have to treat me like a 5yr old on this!

1. How do I set up a PPTP VPN (Server is Windows 2008 R2 using Routing and Remote Access)
2. How do I map a network drive?
3. How do I set default file associations for Word, Excel, etc to use the MS Office 2010 in Parallels?
4. The iMac comes with 4GB RAM. Is this sufficient to run both Windows 7 apps and Mac at the same time? No idea how resource hungry Mac OS is.
5. Does Parallels open a new window to work within ala RDP or does it do seamless application ala Citrix Apps?

As long as I can show my user how to:

1. Dial up VPN
2. Access network drive
3. Open/Print/Edit Word/Excel Docs
4. Access Outlook (Parallels) (Exchange 2010)

Then the rest he can figure out for himself, he's the one who insisted on a Mac!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
I access the server(2008SBS) via vpn then use microsoft remote desktop connection for mac, to connect to my works desktop as a thin client, much easier and quicker, can run programs everything no problem, no need for parallels or other virtual software.

Re setting up a vpn connection on the mac open up network preferences(click on the wireless icon on the taskbar and go to network preferences), from the list of connections click the plus sign and chose vpn as your interface, set up as necessary for your network.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks.

I have considered RDP but printing is always an issue. Print over Terminal Services never works as it should!

Reaction score
My wife used Microsoft RDC for quite a while in a scenario like that. Had few problems (including printing to our local printer).

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, hence why I need to do VPN + shared network drive for documents.

Anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.