My iPod 4G won't connect to the internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iPod Touch 4G, iPad
So i've had my iPod 4G for a while now and i have never experienced a problem like this before. I am trying to connect to a router with my iPod touch and i enter my passcode for my router etc., it says at the top left i have full 3 bars for connection and when i open Safari, it pops up and says safari could not be opened because there is no internet connection.

So, in short it basically connects to the router but it isn't getting any internet connection. Can anyone here please help me solve this? Thanks a lot.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > click the little blue arrow next to your Wi-Fi network. Are you getting an appropriate IP address?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Umm yes I am. It's slow to show up though but i still get it. I also get a "Subnet Mask" code? It's a little shorter than the IP address. I'm not sure what that is or what it means. :p Hope this helps.

Btw, I'm new to this website so haha.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The subnet mask is normal and you should also have a value for the router and some DNS entries. If not, the iPod Touch is not getting the proper values from the router which would explain why it's not connecting to anything. Do you have values for those? What is the IP address that your iPod Touch has?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I dont have any values for these. The IP address that I have right now is 169.254.16.66
Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
169.254.x.x is a self-assigned IP address, and means the Touch is not getting a valid IP address from the router's DHCP server.

The first think I do in situations like this is disable encryption on the router temporarily and see if the iPod will connect successfully. If it does, then you know the wireless on the iPod is working properly, it can get a valid IP address and can connect to the internet. Then add encryption and test again. Ensure you're entering the password correctly. Passwords are case sensitive, so make sure you've got your proper capital and lowercase letters.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iPod can connect to another server or router but just not the one in my home. So I know it's not broken at least. :p

C

chas_m

By any chance do you have your router at home set up to limit the number of IP addresses that can sign onto it? This is sometimes done by savvy users to cut down on the possibility of others guessing the password and leeching the "free" internet connection.

You might try resetting your router to (temporarily!) have no password or security whatsoever, then see if the iPod can connect. If it can, this is good news, it means nothing is wrong with the iPod.

Reaction score
hi im having the same problem and its the first time this has happened and i dont know what to do, plzz help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
If it worked before, resetting the router should do the trick. My ISP requires my Airport Extreme to have a manual IP address for some reason. Am considering getting an iPod touch soon hope this won't be an issue connecting to WiFi for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.