• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder DVD videos onto IDVD

Reaction score
My daughter just got married this past weekend & I taped it on my Sony Handy-cam mini-DVD corder. Now I'm kinda new to using a MAC, and I was wondering after I convert the mini-disks video onto one single large DVD. How can I use the varied videos from the CD & apply them into IDVD to create a nice compilation for my daughter??

Any assistance in this matter would greatly be appreciated.

C

chas_m

You haven't told us enough about your setup or exactly what you've done precisely (videos don't fit on a CD so try again there) to be able to answer. The one thing I CAN tell you is that if you ever put any of those accursed mini-discs into your Mac (not MAC), you will be REALLY sorry you did that, so don't.

OP
P
Reaction score
I know not to put the mini dvd's into my Mac & I had combined all 3 mini disks onto one large DVD, however, what I'm looking to do is I guess rip certain parts of my daughters wedding video I did & create a compilation of movies & snap shots into imovie. So, can you recommend any DVDxDVD programs I could use to do this?

I've looked into the following DVDxDV Rip DVDs to High Quality Video for Mac - Convert DVD to iTunes, MOV, MP4, MP3 is this a good program or is there something else?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate thread.

There is no need for any DVD ripping application to move videos of homemade DVDs to a computer. What you will need is to re-encode the video to a format suitable for iMovie to use. I am not into the video side on Macs, so I'll leave this to others.

(As chas stated, do not put one of those mini-CDs into a slot load drive - any slot load drive.)

OP
P
Reaction score
How do I go about re-encoding the video?? When I put the DVD into my Mac it goes directly into play mode?

C

chas_m

1. Just turn off DVD player when it starts up.

2. Use a program such as the one you previously mentioned -- DVDxDV (for no loss, but the resulting files will be huge) or something like Handbrake -- to convert the DVD's files back into "movie files" that iMovie and iDVD can understand, like MP4.

3. If you need to re-edit, open iMovie and load the new movie files in there. If you don't, open iDVD, create a new project, and then drag the movie files into it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.