what happened to all the airplay speakers?

Reaction score
When apple announced airplay, the biggest thing for me was the availability of speakers with airplay built in. Apple promised that several companies were already working on systems to sell, but it's been well over half a year, and there's nary an airplay system to be found. They didn't even release any for the Christmas shopping season right after the big announcement, something that I can only believe wasn't originally intended.

So where are all the airplay speakers? I already have some computer speakers hooked up to an airport express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When apple announced airplay, the biggest thing for me was the availability of speakers with airplay built in. Apple promised that several companies were already working on systems to sell, but it's been well over half a year, and there's nary an airplay system to be found. They didn't even release any for the Christmas shopping season right after the big announcement, something that I can only believe wasn't originally intended.

So where are all the airplay speakers? I already have some computer speakers hooked up to an airport express.

Actually there are quite a few.
AirPlay Speakers | Everything AirPlay

OP
E
Reaction score
wow, all these are really expensive. I'm better off getting another airport express and using speakers around the house. I could probably get fairly decent computer speakers and it wouldn't run me over $150 for both the speakers and AE, but I don't think I've seen an airplay device for under $200. That's kind of disheartening :-(

C

chas_m

iHome, JBL, Denon ... the list goes on and on ... you just haven't been looking very hard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.