cannot download in all browsers, dropbox not syncing

Reaction score
Hi, all! My first post here. :)

First I got an iPhone a couple of years ago, then another 3 more iPhones(for my wife and upgrades), then iPads, then I bite the bullet and got myself a MBP! Then even a MacMini. My brother thinks I've gone apple nut. LOL. I am loving it. The systems run so smoothly I don't know how I used to put up with the window machines. hehe.

All had been running well but recently I am having a strange problem. I cannot seem to download from most of the web sites(dropbox.com, download.com, and many other) no matter what browser I am using. I have tried Safari, FF, and Chrome(think there is an IE for mac? but I just cannot bring myself to look for it!). The weird thing is, I can download from Gmail attachment and some other odd sites, but with most sites, the web pages just either become non-responsive or refresh itself.

Dropbox also stopped syncing(not sure if it is related), yet Sugarsync is still working. I have uninstalled Folx just in case, but the same.

Is there anything else I can try? Would greatly appreciate any input. Otherwise I would have to rebuild the entire system, not something I would enjoy doing. :((

It had been suggested to me that it could be a virus?(um.. I think not), and possibly a network problem. Yet my MacMini on the same network is not having any of the same issue.

I am running Mac OSX 10.6.7, 2.66 GHz Intel Core2Duo, with 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First, I was having issues with Dropbox sync yesterday evening - I'm beginning to wonder if they were having some issues. Regardless, Dropbox seems to be working fine now so take a look to see if you're still having that issue.

As for the downloads, have you installed (and uninstalled) a download manager recently? If so, you need to uninstall it properly using the included uninstaller. An improperly uninstalled download manager can be problematic.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thankyou Vansmith for your reply.

Dropbox have been having some issue lately with client not working:
Dropbox Not Syncing « Dropbox Forums
Yet, I am not sure if this is related to my downloading problem.

As for download manager, I did have Folx installed but had it uninstalled. Maybe I did not uninstall it properly as I just deleted it from the application. I would have to try re-installing it then look for some way to uninstall it properly. It was on my suspect list as it seems to be the only common denominator amongst all browsers.

Thankyou for the suggestion. :) Will let you know how I go once I have a chance to give it a go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.