MBP 17" won't start two weeks after replacing battery

Reaction score
My MBP 17" will not boot up. There's a slight whirring sound when I push the start-up button, the l.e.d. light by the opening latch comes on, but that's it. I've tried repeatedly to boot it up with-or-without the battery in, and with and without the AC supply cord plugged in. I've taken the battery out and re-inserted it - with no change.

I've noticed now that the serial numbers, model #s and voltages do not match.

On my MBP:

Serial #: W87-242-RTX-A9
Model #: A1229
18.5 V / 4.6A max

On the Battery:

Serial #: W01-057-PPZ-9DA
Model # A1189
10.8V / 68Wh

Does this mean that running my MBP for the last two-weeks with THIS battery installed has "damaged" something irreparably - like the logic board ?

And if so, do you have any idea if can I hold the Mac Store who sold this to me responsible ? I'm living in Mexico and this battery was bought at a Mac Outlet store in Mexico City. Doesn't sound too likely does it?

Gratefully,

Nysqually

PRIOR to my MBP not starting ~ these were the initial symptoms

My 17" MBP, just had its battery replaced with a matching battery according to the serial number on my laptop. Since this occurred three weeks ago, I noticed odd behaviors beginning.

1) I could no longer highlight text by clicking at the end and moving the cursor to the beginning, instead I had to start at the beginning, click and drag the cursor over the text to the bottom.

2) Other oddities included not being able to reliably backspace and/or delete, yet these were inconsistent and sometimes not possible to repeat.

3) the worst, happened today. An error message I've never seen before appeared that says "USB Over Current Notice. A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The hub to which it is attached to will be deactivated." There's only one choice on the error message, and that is to click OK. Once I do, all may be well for a while, and then suddenly the computer shutting down and rebooting, it starts booting up and then restarts again, shuts down and then reboots, sometimes many times.

4) and then other times, the computer has booted up and all was fine for a while.

5) leaving it alone for a couple of hours, there are now five of these identical error messages that I can move around in order to work, sensing that if I click OK on all five that perhaps the process will either continue or escalate.

Questions: Is it possible that a battery matching my serial number could still not be the right battery for my model MBP and be causing these anomalies ?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.18f5
Serial Number (system): W87242RTXA9
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B639225FF
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Whether this is "caused" by the wrong battery or not, can this behavior be an indication that something "seriously wrong" is occurring, and if so what can be done about it?

As I am currently living and working in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where there are no Mac outlets, and where travel to Mexico City - where this battery was purchased - is now prohibitively expensive. So, I'd like to be sure "what to do" before I start doing anything unnecessary.

Do You have any clue as to what could be causing these symptoms ?

Gratefully,

Nysqually

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe the battery could be causing all those problems you're describing. It's possible the MagSafe charger could be bad. I know that Mexico is famous for fluctuating AC current which is bad for electronic devices.

First thing to try is reset the PRAM and then also do a SMC reset.

You could have other problems with the machine related to hardware or software. With all those problems, it should really be taken in to Apple for repairs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.