Adware & Spyware

Reaction score
Hi, Can anybody recommend the best Adware or Spyware programs for my iMac. I think I at have least picked up adware or spyware from some site.
I am running Bitdefender as a anti-virus program.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
Macs do not get viruses. Trojans have to be installed by the user, so the old adage "never click on anything unknown" is obvious advice.

So-called anti virus apps such as Bitdefender, Sophos etc are a waste of time and can create more problems than they are supposed to solve and the best place for them is the trash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
I think I at have least picked up adware or spyware from some site.

What makes you think this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Here is a link with much information for you AndyNZ:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

Sounds like you are a pc user as well, or ex-pc user, so you might want to check out the forum that thread is in if you are new to Macs:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/

Btw... I was using BitDefender on my pc until it started acting up, quitting with no notification was the biggest issue. I switched to Webroot which did a great job but it was a bit confusing. And I read that BitDefender 2010 was really bad. I think it didn't play well with Vista, don't know about Windows 7.

Reaction score
On Windows and OSX, the computer is only as secure as the nut behind the wheel. If you install crap or pirated software, expect nothing less than problems. If I had to choose between paying for good software without the headaches or random code off the web, I'd just rather not chance the it.:)

Reaction score
To get peace of mind, get ClamXav and do a full scan.

There are almost no viruses for mac at this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.