Magic Trackpad/Magic Mouse stop working occasionally

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" (2011) 3.1 GHz quad-core i5, 13" MacBook Pro (2011 2.3GHz dual-core i5), iPad2 (32MB, 3G)
Hi,

I have a new (2011) 27" iMac which I love (I am recent Mac convert - my last Apple computer was a Apple IIgs and before that a Apple //e). I am using both a Magic Trackpad and a Magic Mouse (I like the Trackpad but like to also sometimes use the mouse).

Occasionally, the Trackpad or the Mouse stop operating. I can get the working again by going to the bluetooth menu, deselect and reselect the unit, or power cycle the Trackpad or the Mouse.

Does anyone else ever experience this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How often does this happen? I have noticed that with some Blue Tooth Mice I loose connection but it only happens once in a blue moon. Every couple of months and comes right back. My Logitech MX900 though (and again this is sometimes) goes away when the mouse sleeps and I have to turn it off and on to get it back. Never happens with my Apple BT keyboard of my Magic mouse.

I have only owned the Magic Trackpad maybe 4 days now so I really can't comment on it yet.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" (2011) 3.1 GHz quad-core i5, 13" MacBook Pro (2011 2.3GHz dual-core i5), iPad2 (32MB, 3G)
It happens maybe every other day or so. I'll start writing down whenever it happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Quad core i5, 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.2
i had the same trouble with my magic mouse. i had tried lots of thing i had found on forums etc etc. i finally found a fix on youtube, its not the sort of fix i was hoping for. but since i have done it i havnt lost connection once. its turns out (on my mouse anyways) that it losses connection due to the batterys moving while you are picking up and moving around the mouse, the slight knocks and bumps dislodge them. i wedged a doubled up pice of photo paper in between the two batterys and it worked. i havnt had this issue since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.