White line across the bottom of my screen.

Reaction score
My iMac had a warning that a disk was not ejected properly (the same warning that shows if you unplug your ipod without ejecting), yet there was nothing I had unplugged. When I closed this warning a white line appeared across the bottom of my screen (Line does change colors depending on my activity).
I shut down my computer, but even during the restart the line remained. I had a seagate external hardrive plugged in and my ipod. The seagate always remains connected to my mac because it holds all my itunes files and i let it back up my mac often. I have since unplugged these things and restarted my computer, but the white line remains.
I tried taking a screen shot of this problem, but it does not show the white line (I think this is because it is located where my dock is located). Thus I took a shot with my cell phone and have attached it to this thread. Also, I have changed the hiding preference for the dock and restarted my Mac, but this still does not fix the problem.
Does anyone know what is wrong, how to fix it and if it is even worth it if I am out of warranty?
The specs on my iMac are as follows:
Mac OS X
Version 10.6.8
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(Just a little over 2 years old and I have already had the logic board replaced)

Attachments

• DSC02077.JPG
    DSC02077.JPG
    696.9 KB · Views: 33

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try this: First, hide your Dock or move it the side using preferences. Next, take a screen shot of your desktop. Does the white line across the bottom show up in the screen shot?

If it does, it may be a graphics defect - in other words, something related to the graphics chipset. If the line does not show up in the screen shot, then it may a defect in the LCD itself.

Post back results.

OP
R
Reaction score
When I take a screenshot, no matter where the dock is and whether it is hidden or not, no white line appears in the resulting picture (the entire screen, including the dock can be seen in these screenshots as well).

I guess what confuses me most about this issue is that it appeared right after a "ejected disk" issue. I forgot to mention that I did remove my ipod without ejecting, but this was after the line and the warning appeared that something had been ejected improperly. I feared that my ipod was causing problems with my computer - that is why i immediately unplugged it from the usb in my keyboard (I hope I didn't cause more problems by doing this).

I tried researching this issue and the only blogs I could find were about motherboards or logic boards (as I mentioned earlier, apple recently replaced my logic board). Some blogs mentioned that this problem only gets worse; over time, more and more lines appear.

I fear my display is on it's way to a slow painful death with pixelated lines multiplying and driving me crazy in the process. Plus, I am a financially struggling college student who desperately needs her computer for her studies and can't afford another. However, I'm staying optimistic about this issue and really hoping this forum can help me. So, If it is the LCD, what can I do?
I greatly appreciate your continued help chscag!
Cheers,
rhazen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the screen shot is OK as you said, then it almost has to be coming from the LCD itself. We can do one final test but you'll need another monitor or TV that has a VGA or DVI input. Attach the monitor or TV to the iMac and see if the line shows up.

If it turns out to be the LCD, not much you can do except to change it out or live with it. It doesn't look like your iMac is still under warranty.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well shoot. My iMac is my TV. So, I've got no way of hooking it up to anything to check it out.
I was doing more research on the problem and found a blog that said my graphics card may be overheating due to dust in the cooling fan (and also that this problem is exasperated by Snow leopard, which I have installed) and causing these lines. I wonder how much it would cost to bring it in and have apple look it over and possibly clean the dust out?

**In addition, I just looked at the fan underneath the stand of my iMac (which I didn't even know was there until I watched a instructional cleaning video) and it was literally caked with dust. So, I am wondering if getting my iMac professionally cleaned and replacing the graphics card would be the solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your graphics card can not be replaced without replacing the logic board. It's soldered (surface mounted) on the board. Plus, it may not be graphics chipset. But cleaning the fan is a good idea anyway.

What you can try is go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions for your model iMac. You may be able to clean the fan yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.