Can't change System Pref Login Items

Reaction score
I am on a Macbook running OS X 10.5.8. Whenever I boot up there are several programs that start automatically such as Skype, Itunes, ect. I changed the settings by deleting these programs in 'system preferences/accounts/login items' and everything seems ok but when I restart my macbook all the programs still auto start and my 'login items' don't show the changes I just made. I am the only User on this computer and I use the lock/unlock button with password as prompted to make these changes. I have also run both 'disk verify/repair and disk permissions verify/repair' with disk utility but with no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

After making the changes in System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items, make sure you close the lock. Then go to your Dock... Right click on the iTunes icon, Skype icon, whatever, and select options. From options, turn off "Open at Login". That should do it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey chscag, Well I followed all the same steps as before: system preferences/accounts/login items, unlocked the lock, deleted all the 'open at login' items and locked the lock. Then I right clicked the Skype icon on the dock but the 'open at login' preference was not checked. So just to be sure, I checked it then unchecked it then restarted the computer. I'm not sure why or how, but not just Skype, but ALL of the items I deleted from the login preferences stayed deleted this time. I am now a very happy mac user, thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think the reason why it didn't work the first time is because you were not closing the lock. If you leave that lock open, the changes sometimes will not save. Anyway, glad you got it solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.