• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help this newbie out, please.

R

Ritz

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with the Mac world and don't know much about hardware either. Some ten years ago I bought my first computer, a friend almost convinced me to buy a Mac. However, some Mac-o-phobes told me that the Mac was indeed better, but could not run most of the common software. Since then I have never considered buying a Mac anymore, until now.

Someone recently showed me his Powerbook 12" and I was very impressed. I found out that there are hardly any programs that do NOT run on the OS X. I have decided that my next computer will be a Mac. Still I have some questions, that you might be able to answer.

1. I currently own a two year old Notebook with an Intel Pentium 4 processor (2.8 GHz) and OS W*nd*ws XP (512MB RAM), and I think about buying the Powerbook G4 with a 1.5 GHz processor (512MB RAM) running OS Tiger. I have been told that these as just as fast. Can that be true? If not, how big is the difference?

2. The powerbook G4 15" has the option of taking 2*512MB or 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. I know the extra RAM allows more programs at the same time, but does it also influence the speed?

3. And what is the difference between 2*512MB or 1GB RAM, except for the $200?

4. I have a wireless network at home (ASUS, 802.11g, installation CD for Windows only). The powerbooks have an Airport Extreme. Can I make a wireless connection to my network with this or do I have to buy an Airport Extreme base?

Ritz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ritz said:
1. I currently own a two year old Notebook with an Intel Pentium 4 processor (2.8 GHz) and OS W*nd*ws XP (512MB RAM), and I think about buying the Powerbook G4 with a 1.5 GHz processor (512MB RAM) running OS Tiger. I have been told that these as just as fast. Can that be true? If not, how big is the difference?
There is no way to truly compare them. They are two completely different processors running two completely different operating systems. It is literally like trying to compare Apples and Oranges, water and air, black and white..etc. They are completely different and cannot be adequately compared or "benchmarked" against one another.

2. The powerbook G4 15" has the option of taking 2*512MB or 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. I know the extra RAM allows more programs at the same time, but does it also influence the speed?
First off, I would not order the extra RAM from Apple. They charge way to much for it. You are better off getting the standard configuration from Apple and ordering the extra RAM from a third party. Now, RAM will only affect the speed of the system IF you are using an application that will benefit from more RAM (ie, Photoshop, FCP, Flash MX...etc). If you are only doing basic things like web browsing, word processing, email..etc. then you will never really see a change or benefit.

3. And what is the difference between 2*512MB or 1GB RAM, except for the $200?
The first option is two 512MB sticks and the second is one 1GB stick. Again, don't bother getting the extra RAM from Apple.

4. I have a wireless network at home (ASUS, 802.11g, installation CD for Windows only). The powerbooks have an Airport Extreme. Can I make a wireless connection to my network with this or do I have to buy an Airport Extreme base?
Routers are not OS specific. If you got an AirPort Extreme enabled Mac then it should connect to the network with no problem or extra hardware needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
1. I actually have a 2.8Ghz P4 and a 1.67Ghz Powerbook. I would say those machines are comparable in most areas but not in gaming or any calculation intensive tasks such as After Effects rendering where the PC is considerably faster. But as far as Photoshop, Video editing and general computing tasks the Powerbook is faster IMO.

2. Memory has a major impact on the speed of Macs... much moreso than on PC. However, this is only true if you plan to utilize the extra memory for graphic intensive apps such as Photoshop, Final Cut or Motion. For basic computing you won't see as much of a speed impact.

3. By using a 1Gig chip it will leave more room to put up to 2gigs total. But if you plan to stick with 1Gig total than 2x512mb is fine. That being said I would highly recommend buying the machine with the default 512mb of RAM and purchasing any additional memory from a 3rd part such as Crucial or Memory-Up.com.

4. Your Airport card should work just fine with any standard wi-fi base.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Ritz said:
I'm not familiar with the Mac world and don't know much about hardware either. Some ten years ago I bought my first computer, a friend almost convinced me to buy a Mac. However, some Mac-o-phobes told me that the Mac was indeed better, but could not run most of the common software. Since then I have never considered buying a Mac anymore, until now.

People in-the-know avoid "common software" like the plague, it is usually rubbish. :dummy:

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.