10.5.6 computer starts then shuts down

Reaction score
First time poster, loved my mac till now... :)
I have a G5 mac pro, the one that has the small apt building for the box.
It was a computer that was used in the graphics dept where I was formerly employed and I bought it at auction when the company went bankrupt.

So there is a little background. I recently upgraded to 10.5.6 which is the farthest I can go before having to upgrade to an intel chip.

So, on Saturday, I turned on the computer and got a grey screen with the icon and the turning gear. It did not go beyond that. I tried all the recommended troubleshooting suggestions to no avail. Eventually the computer fired up and then almost immediately after the chime, it would shut off.

I tried this morning (after reading some threads here) to start it up on the install disk. It did start up and I tried to verify the disk and got the following message; "first aid failed. Disk utility stoped verifying HD because the following error was encountered. File system verify or repair failed, invalid key length, volume check failed......gulp!

That sounds ominous! Of course, the mac store no longer services these dinosaurs and the only 3rd party mac store is a pain in the neck east end Toronto foray....If I have to upgrade, I guess mac pro is the next step, because I love the apt building tower, it looks so awesome. Of course, I could sell the aluminum contained in it for scrap and pay for the upgrade. :)

Thoughts, feedback before I trudge downtown?

Thanks, Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Actually, you could go all the way to 10.5.8, if the computer is still alive. But, it sounds like it might be beyond repair. Let's see if a true computer tech will weigh in here...

OP
I
Reaction score
I just spoke with the aforementioned 3rd party store and they suggested a 90.00 diagnostic. The girl on the phone, after I described the symptoms suggested that it may be the HD and that they could get another if that they case.

I'll hang tight awhile and as was alluded, perhaps a higher power can provide further insight.....Terry

OP
I
Reaction score
I had to go east and downtown on biz, so I took the computer along with me for diagnostic.

Will post the findings once determined for future reference.

the tech did say the fact I could boot the computer on the OS DVD was a good sign....we'll see what a good sign is...

Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi Terruy and welcome to the forum. FYI . . . . . You could of performed the diagnostics yourself with the install DVD's using the built in Apple Hardware Test . . . Could of saved yourself $90

For your Mac Pro
..........use the Install Disc 1 that came with your Mac, hold down alt or option key depending on your keyboard, select the Hardware Test from the menu, and the menu selections and loop mode are as for Intel based Macs.

Cheers

OP
I
Reaction score
Thats great news for the future, thanks. Does this apply to non intel based systems?

Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That is for PPC 10.5. Intel systems and certain iMacs have the hardware test but to get to it, it is a different route.

Cheers

OP
I
Reaction score
just got the word....HD was pooched.
supply and installing new 1 terabyte HD for 200.00, which sounds really reasonable.
will have to put sheckels away for intel version upgrade....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.