Time Capsule set up question

Reaction score
new to the MAC world. Just bought a MB Pro and now it's time for a new router. I purchased the new Time Capsule which I will set up using the MB Pro.

I plan to duplicate my current routers setup.
use the current network name
Security-WPA-PSK
Same network key.
By doing this will all other devices in my house should connect as they have in the past?

My home network connections consists of 1 MB Pro,4 PC's, Wireless Printer, Apple TV and 3 Android cell phones.

I would like to use Time Capsule to back up the MP Pro and one windows 7 PC. Can I do this without installing Airport Ultilty on the wndows 7 machine?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I may be wrong but the only way I have seen this work is to have Time Machine use the internal drive of the TC and use a networking drive attached to one of the ethernet
ports on the TC since they use different file systems for the PC also take note without third party software Windows 7 Home will not back up wirelessly only Professional and Ultimate. I am a firm believer in separate external drives for each machine and depending on how important my storage is I may have redundant back up to another drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks

I got it set up where the Windows 7 machine can access the external drive I have plugged into the Time Capsule. Now just a matter of getting some windows 7 back up software.

Big issue I'm having now is getting my printer to print wirelessly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

I got it set up where the Windows 7 machine can access the external drive I have plugged into the Time Capsule. Now just a matter of getting some windows 7 back up software.

Big issue I'm having now is getting my printer to print wirelessly

Try hooking the printer up via USB to the Mac first and set it up then disconnect it and try the ethernet connection on the TC. I had to set up my HP like this afterwards everything worked.

OP
R
Reaction score
Try hooking the printer up via USB to the Mac first and set it up then disconnect it and try the ethernet connection on the TC. I had to set up my HP like this afterwards everything worked.

Thanks for your help. I worked all day at it and could not get the printer to print. It became very frustrating that I could not access advanced settings by logging directly into the router. I decided to get a router I can actually log in to. I'll add a couple portable drives to that and I'll have a much more flexible back up solution and maybe save a few bucks

Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I recently set up an Airport Express and couldn't get one of my printers to print wirelessly although it had worked wirelessly in the past. I deleted my printer in System Preferences and then re-added it. Worked perfectly since then

OP
R
Reaction score
I think I found what the problem is. I reverted back to my old router and was able to access my printer and print again. When I set up the printer ages ago I set it up to have a manual IP so I could use the web interface to tweak settings and remove all the HP bloatware crap from my PC.

Does Time Capsule allow for manual IP for one device only?
I had tried to access my printer when I had the TC up and running via the web interface and the page would not load. So I'm thinking TC assigned a different IP to my printer. I need to access the printers web interface once TC is running to adjust the security settings as the HP set up software is giving me an error message.

My current router shows me a client list when I log on to the router via it's web interface. Is this a feature in TC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can access my HP C6380 networked via ethernet to Airport Extreme menu,change settings,print and scan also assign ip or use DHCP so yes you should be able to do as you need. Yes you can view wireless clients.

OP
R
Reaction score
Found the problem

My old IP address was xxx.xxx.2.xxx

The new one is xxx.xxx.1.xxx

The simplest things staring you right in the face are sometimes go unseen:p

I reconnected my old router changed the 2 to a 1 and I can print wireless again!:
That's the good news. The bad news is I returned the time capsule for a Linksys e4200. Actually thats not bad news I save a 150 bucks that I can use to buy another portable HDD. I've convinced myself its best to keep separate your router and you back up drives

Thanks for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.