Thunderbird 5 under 10.6.8 - dock icon not animating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
I've posted a query about this on the Mozillazine forum as well, but I thought it might be worth exposing it to the collective wisdom here.

I've used Mozilla Thunderbird a my default email client on both PC and Mac platforms for more years than I care to recall. I like it and I ain't changing.

Until last week, I was using T'bird 3 under OSX Panther 10.3.9 on a G4 PowerMac. If you're familiar with it, you'll know that it has a setting whereby the dock icon lights up with a little green flag whenever it detects that there are new messages waiting at the mail server. Very handy.

This week I finally retired the venerable G4 from front-line duty (sob...) and am now working on a Mac Pro machine, running a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I've installed Thunderbird 5.0, imported all my old account settings, address book, mail folders etc., and all is fine - except for one irksome little thing.

I've got it set to "animate the dock icon when new messages arrive" - but it doesn't. The icon doesn't light up, change its appearance, bounce around - it just sits there all blue and inscrutable - which is a bit of a pain, as it means I have to go and check for new messages at frequent intervals, on the offchance.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has noticed similar behaviour, or whether maybe I've forgotten to set something in my mail account preferences (although they're all set exactly as they were under T'bird 3 on the old machine, and it worked fine then).

All ideas gratefully received!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've posted a query about this on the Mozillazine forum as well, but I thought it might be worth exposing it to the collective wisdom here.

I've used Mozilla Thunderbird a my default email client on both PC and Mac platforms for more years than I care to recall. I like it and I ain't changing.

Until last week, I was using T'bird 3 under OSX Panther 10.3.9 on a G4 PowerMac. If you're familiar with it, you'll know that it has a setting whereby the dock icon lights up with a little green flag whenever it detects that there are new messages waiting at the mail server. Very handy.

This week I finally retired the venerable G4 from front-line duty (sob...) and am now working on a Mac Pro machine, running a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I've installed Thunderbird 5.0, imported all my old account settings, address book, mail folders etc., and all is fine - except for one irksome little thing.

I've got it set to "animate the dock icon when new messages arrive" - but it doesn't. The icon doesn't light up, change its appearance, bounce around - it just sits there all blue and inscrutable - which is a bit of a pain, as it means I have to go and check for new messages at frequent intervals, on the offchance.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has noticed similar behaviour, or whether maybe I've forgotten to set something in my mail account preferences (although they're all set exactly as they were under T'bird 3 on the old machine, and it worked fine then).

All ideas gratefully received!

Try deleting the preference file, located in:
Code:
[I]yourhomefolder[/I]/Library/Preferences

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
Thanks for the advice - I've just tried it. Shut down T'bird / trashed the preferences file / re-launched, but no joy. Must be a bug in the latest version of Thunderbird, I guess.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thunderbird 5 animates just fine here. I updated from Thunderbird 3.1 directly to 5 (there is no version 4) without any problem whatsoever.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, chscag - if you upgraded from a previous version on the same machine, maybe there's a clue in that. My T'bird installation on this machine was straight into 5 on a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am upgrading 3.11 Thunderbird to 5.0. I will report back.

Tried it and the Dock icon is like it was in 3.11 and animates. Not sure what is wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use Thunderbird, but in experimenting with it, I found that the icon wouldn't bounce for me either. Some time back, I had enabled a hidden preference to stop all icon bouncing in the Dock. Reversing that fixed it for me. Enter the following command into Terminal:

Code:
[B]defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool FALSE[/B]

Then enter:

Code:
[B]killall Dock[/B]

You should be back in business.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for the advice, LIAB - I'll try that. Just before I do so, however, could you clarify something for me? The terminal command you've given me doesn't appear to be specific to the Thunderbird icon - does that matter? All of my other dock icons already bounce merrily!
biggrin.gif

Cheers and thanks,
Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for the advice, LIAB - I'll try that. Just before I do so, however, could you clarify something for me? The terminal command you've given me doesn't appear to be specific to the Thunderbird icon - does that matter? All of my other dock icons already bounce merrily!
biggrin.gif

It's not specific to Thunderbird… it's for the Dock. Making that parameter "TRUE" turns off icon bouncing for all apps, regardless of the setting in those apps. But since your other apps are already bouncing… the flag is probably already set to FALSE. Go ahead and try for kicks… it won't hurt anything.

If this doesn't fix it, try creating a new user account, log in to that, then try Thunderbird. How it behaves under the new user will help root out the cause of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.