Question About Disk Utility/Repairing Permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I have a 2011 21.5" iMac. I have already completed a complete erase and reinstall of the OS, which is now 10.6.8. Is Disk Utility Part of the Operating System? The reason I ask is because whenever I open Disk Utility (and first verify the Disk which is an SSD stock from Apple), and then click on "Verify Disk Permissions", even though the "Show details" box is checked, it says it's verifying permissions, but it doesn't show that any are not correct. It finally says "Permissions Verify Complete," or something similar.

Then I click on "Repair Disk Permissions," and it takes a couple of minutes, and again it doesn't show that any permissions were repaired, but at the end it says "Repair Permissions Complete," or something similar.

On my other 2 Macs (I have a 2010 iMac, and I had a 2011 MBP), when I did this, it always showed the details of which permissions needed repairing, and then, which were repaired. Is it possible that I never have any permissions on the 2011 iMac that need repairing, and that is why it doesn't show anything? Again, it did this on the first installed OS, and now also on the erase/re-install. The iMac though, is running fine. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Instead go into Disk Utility and hit the Repair Permissions button, and with the Show Details button selected, a whole host of information should then appear and SUID warnings. Do not let them concern you.

There is a difference between Verifying and Re[pairing. Prefer a little utility called ACLr8 which does everything from Terminal nice and quickly.

About | ACLr8

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Instead go into Disk Utility and hit the Repair Permissions button, and with the Show Details button selected, a whole host of information should then appear and SUID warnings. Do not let them concern you.

There is a difference between Verifying and Re[pairing. Prefer a little utility called ACLr8 which does everything from Terminal nice and quickly.

About | ACLr8
I did what you said with Disk Utility, and again it showed no details:

Screen shot 2011-07-03 at 9.29.00 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suggest selecting and de-selecting the Show details button a couple of times as it may be inoperative from the look of your screen shot.

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suggest selecting and de-selecting the Show details button a couple of times as it may be inoperative from the look of your screen shot.
I tried what you said, with the same results. I also use a Utility called "Applejack." I run Applejack after I install an update. When it comes to repairing permissions, it says it did it, but it does not show *what* it did, the same as in Disk Utility. On my other 2 Macs, Applejack shows what is being repaired.

Is it possible with this new 2011 iMac, and the newer architecture, a lot of times there are no permissions that need repairing?

Reaction score
Have you just finished doing a erase and install, is that correct to understand from you first post?

If you, have you done updates yet? if Not, I am thinking there are no bad permissions for it to repair.

We E&I at least 10 machines a day, and know for a fact, that when they come out of E&I if we run repair disk permissions, it will just repair completed, and then once we do updates, and run it again, there are a few, but after running it once or twice and apple as repaired all the permissions (yes apple does sometimes repair all of them :)) it will again show repair completed.

Best bet it to start installing apps on there like Office or Adobe Products (if you use them) and see use you Mac on a regular basis and see it that makes a difference.

Let me know...

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you just finished doing a erase and install, is that correct to understand from you first post?

If you, have you done updates yet? if Not, I am thinking there are no bad permissions for it to repair.

We E&I at least 10 machines a day, and know for a fact, that when they come out of E&I if we run repair disk permissions, it will just repair completed, and then once we do updates, and run it again, there are a few, but after running it once or twice and apple as repaired all the permissions (yes apple does sometimes repair all of them :)) it will again show repair completed.

Best bet it to start installing apps on there like Office or Adobe Products (if you use them) and see use you Mac on a regular basis and see it that makes a difference.

Let me know...
Yes, all updates are installed. For some reason, even after installing updates, if I use Disk Utility or Applejack to repair permissions, it does not show any details of permissions repaired. I already have Office Installed, and Adobe Reader X. If there is something safe to install that would definitely cause details to show, let me know. Otherwise, maybe there are just no permissions to repair on this 2011 iMac with an SSD?

Reaction score
hmm... seems really odd. I would personally try and use my iMac for a while, at least a month or so and keep a eye on it, usually software updates do cause a few permissions errors, specially with java.

also if you are really concerned, try booting from install disk, and before you actually hit install (from the drive selection screen) click on utilities on the menu bar and select disk utilities, and test it from there (that would rule out OS issues). I am 99% sure that 2011 iMacs have permissions issues as well, but will double check with our iMacs in store, and if they show the same (no permissions errors) then will talk to Apple just to make sure its not a growing issues etc.

OP
pokermaniac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.....re-installed OS over existing one, updated to 10.6.8, and now permission repair is working and showing details.....I'm beat.......Thanks all.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just bet you are pokermaniac. Have done that once with Snow Leopard, re-installing over OS X.6.5 with original OS X.6.3 and then using Combo Updater. Scary stuff but pleased all is well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.