Install Fail, Ever seen this?

Reaction score
After effing up permissions and deleting "wheel" user, I know me dumb, I could not boot. Tried several fixes and decided to clean install Snow Leopard just to get it over. Unfortunately, on install as a Target disc since it won't boot from the optical drive, it either shows me the grey "You need to restart your computer message," or this:
screenpic.png

Any help?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
what snow leopard disc are you trying to boot from, and what colour is it?

OP
C
Reaction score
I have a standard retail version of Snow Leopard white with white cat. But I've been switching between that and the grey disc that came with the mini. It may have to do with trying to use one when I should have been using the other? By the by, I got the install to work by repartitioning my hd when in Target disc mode, then restarting the mini with the install disc inside. Still dumbfounded by that graphic, though.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you cant use the grey disc with any other Mac than the one you bought it with, as this generally pulls up KP's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Which computer is in Target Mode, and which is booting the install DVD?
To install, you must boot from the computer which will get the Installation (installer selects driver/extensions based on model it is running on). Since your DVD drive is broken, the "other" computer has to have the DVD in it, and it must be in Target mode.

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

BTW, I've never tried this - I don't know if the DVD drive will be visible in Target Mode... (supposed to, but...)
Maybe it will be easier to get a cheap external DVD drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.