Speedy new MBP slows down in face of *gifs

Reaction score
hello all,

I have a BTO MBP 13" corei5, with 128gb SSD, and I upgraded the RAM to 8gb. So it should be fast but in Safari when I am looking at sites with gifs on them the scrolling and overall computer experience is very, very slow. What gives this machine should be plenty fast, right?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have a sample that we can take a look at?

In my experience, it's never really slowed down my machine but may slow down the browser for a moment or two while it loads (people really need to stop making animated gifs). Have you tried another browser? Some browsers tend to handle certain content better than others. For instance, Silverlight runs considerably better in Safari than other browsers for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I don't use the Safari browser. It is slow and not very feature rich as compared to Firefox. I would try Firefox or others and see if they work better for you!

Pat

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Safari doesn't like gifs apparently.

Reaction score
Try using a different browser; I use Chrome myself. Make sure to give the browser a good minute to load (check the browser load progress in the tab or whatever). It lags a bit on mine when first loading but after a few seconds (depending on how many GIFs there are) they will run smoothly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.