• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.mkv files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can anyone tell me how some .mkv play on my Panasonic gt30 and some don't???

That's a TV set. Does it have software built-in for playing media, or are you using something else? If it's something else, then the TV has nothing to do with this.

OP
L
Reaction score
Panasonic

Yes it has various access points e.g. usb, Sd card, it played one movie then would not play other which was of a larger size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes it has various access points e.g. usb, Sd card, it played one movie then would not play other which was of a larger size?

Interestingly, I can't seem to dig up much info on this feature. Random references in other discussions, but nothing too specific. Well the problem could be any number of things. The file may simply be too high a bitrate for its software to handle, or it may not support the video or audio codec contained in the mkv file. Just to elaborate on that last part… an mkv file is a container, much like a zip file, and the actual audio and video components inside it can vary. The video itself could be an MPEG2, MPEG4, and others. The audio could be AC3, DTS, MP3, AAC, and so on. The TV's playback software may be able to handle an MKV file with MPEG4 video but not MPEG2. Perhaps AC3 but not DTS audio.

I pulled up the owner's manual for the set and here's the relevant media requirements:

• SD-Video Files (SD-Video Standard Ver.1.3) Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
• AVCHD Standard compatible files Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
• MotionJPEG files (taken with LUMIX)*
• MP4 files (Video codec H.264 | Audio codec MP3/AC-3/LPCM)
• MKV files (Video codec H.264 | Audio codec MP3/AC-3/LPCM)
• MPEG-2 PS files**
• MPEG-2 TS files**

The items with ** after them means that they are only supported via the DLNA feature. If I interpret this correctly, then it only plays back Standard Definition media (i.e. 480p or lower), not HD. If you like, post the media details of something that plays, and something that doesn't. Load the video up in VLC, then press COMMAND-I to get a Media Info window. Under Codec Details, open each stream and post the information it gives.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for help whole story is both files Imax 3d movies, one copied to sd card and played the other was to large so changed format to mac os extended this allowed larger film to be copied and pasted to sd card , but although Tv media player reads name of movie, movie wont play. have attempted command-i but codec info blank.

OP
L
Reaction score
Movie not playing H264-Mpeg-4(part10)(ach end of code not showing.
frame rate 23.976216 size 4.3GB
Audio DTs Sound rate48000Hz Bitrate 1536 kbc Channels3F2R/LFE.

Info of movie that plays exactly the same, only difference is size: player 2.95
non player 4.32Gb
can only assume Tv will only play MS-Dos file?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Higly unlikely that any TV, DVD or B-R player is going to have the capability of reading a directly attached card/drive formatted with HFS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.