gmail setup question, thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi all, I just switched to a macbook pro after using windows for the last 15 or so years and I'm LOVING it. The guy at the Apple store set my wife's email up and she said it looked really easy, but when I go to set my gmail account up in the mail app it prompts me to fill in my name, email address, and password. Then it takes me to a screen that asks me for my mail type (imap, pop, etc. which I don't really understand so I tried all of them), then asks for incoming and outgoing servers....this is where I'm stumped. I just flat out don't know what to put. I watched the mail setup tutorial and it doesn't even mention this step. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First off, make sure IMAP is enabled for your Gmail account otherwise it won't work (see here). Second, follow the instructions here to setup your Gmail account with Mail.

Reaction score
Gmail issues within MacMail

First off, make sure IMAP is enabled for your Gmail account otherwise it won't work (see here). Second, follow the instructions here to setup your Gmail account with Mail.

I believe my settings map to what you've suggested here via these links, however I'm unsure which mailbox(es) to use to filter and file my email. I receive emails via both .mac and .gmail. I use my Mac Mail account to view, reply and filter email. I also use my iPhone and iPad. Neither my iPad nor iPhone reflect the same files and information as my laptop. My question is, where should I file or direct emails I'd like to save and find later on all devices. The mailboxes I have are: MAILBOXES, ON MY MAC, MOBILEME, and GMAIL.

Thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.